hardboard "tile" board

Old 10-16-04, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hardboard "tile" board

I am finishing my basement and in the bath is a shower alcove 48x34. I installed a shower base by mustee. I made a boneheaded mistake of installing drywall "green" throughout the bath including the alcove. I misread the instructions on the shower walls which are installed directly to studs. The drywall has been taped, mudded, and primed. I can't use a stock wall now because the back wall is now 47"
I have found two alternatives.

1. plastic or acrylic wall from american bath and shower. I like this option but is quite costly. I just got back from HD and the price was $460 for the three panels.

2. 4x8 sheets of hardboard "tile" board. Inexpensive and easy to install, but....will it hold up?

Would appreciate and thought and suggestion. I would rather not have to rip out the drywall.
Can I install tile to greenboard??

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-04, 05:55 PM
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=184179

See the thread above by Doug Aleshire (one of our other moderators). He wrote a great explaination on the uses of greenboard and concrete backerboard. It will be #8 in the posts.
The tileboard is not designed to be used as a shower enclosure. Its made from either fiberboard or a tempered hardboard. The latter being heavier and more expensive but as any with wood based product will degrade with a lot of exposure to wet conditions(such as in a shower).

Old 10-17-04, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
Mr. Dragon is right, you don't want to use tile board. The plastic water resistant surface is quite thin. A few good cleanings with Soft Scrub will buff right through to the masonite backing.

There is another product that is used in commercial restrooms. It is a plastic sheet about 3/32" thick and most commonly has a pebled texture. You can cut this to size and glue it to your green board. I think it runs about $80 for a 4' x 8' sheet. You can try finding it at the big home improvement stores, but you'll probably have better luck at a contractor/building supply store.

Old 10-17-04, 07:09 PM
thanks for the help! Here's what I ended up going with:

http://www.craneplumbing.com/specs/Crane%20Plumbing%20Product%20Catalog%20(Universal-Rundle)/Bathing%20Systems%20-%20Bathtubs,%20Whirlpools,%20Showers,%20and%20Tub%20Showers/Shower%20and%20Tub%20Wall%20Surrounds%20Systems/9980%20Estate.pdf