Is my tub cracked??

Old 10-19-04, 03:56 PM
laweddle
Visiting Guest
Is my tub cracked??

There are small spider-like cracks in the shower surround wall and half-circle like cracks on the floor of the tub as if things were dropped while taking a shower. Are these worth worrying about? Our other bathroom is out of use due to shower leakage behind the wall

Thanks

Lee Ann

Old 10-19-04, 07:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
laweddle,

Are we talking fiberglass, plastic, what?

It may have surface cracks but unsure if they would be all the way through. You need to really investigate this via yourself or get a professional in there to look. Not sure what is in your other bathroom that has it in the "down mode" but if it is similar to this, it's wise to catch it now than later.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-20-04, 10:37 AM
laweddle
Visiting Guest
Oh geez, I have no idea what type of tub it is. It seems a little bit harder than plastic, so maybe fiberglass????

We just bought this house a few months ago and the downstairs shower was leaking behind the wall and molded a small amount and ruined the flooring. UGH!!

Thanks for your reply.

Old 10-24-04, 04:28 AM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cracked fiberglass

These hairline cracks are caused from movement of the tub. Fiberglass tubs expand and contract when changes in temperature and weight is applied to them. Over time the movement causes stress cracks which are normally just on the surface. Kits are available for repairing and touching up these stress cracks. search online under fiberglass repair kits. If allowed to continue, the crack will work its way completely through the surface causing a leak.

Old 10-24-04, 04:35 AM
laweddle,

Just so you understand more about this, I will follow-up with what ksrountree has mentioned.

In some applications of a molded tub, tub/shower or shower base units, inadequate support was done. As mentioned, the movement can really create some problems. This is what I recommend to those when installing new. In your case, just repairing what is done is fine but a need for better support from below is required to prevent this from reoccurring.

"Following the directions per the manufacture for installation. Lack of support causes squeaks, in some cases leaks at drain pipe fittings and worst of all cracks in the finish material. Most manufacturers recommend or suggest installing a mortar base support under the tub or shower bottom before setting the tub or shower unit in place. You can use either a bag of Quikcrete or a 5 gallon pail of pre-mix joint compound. ( usually I use the pre-mix 5 gallon...lazy and it's less mess) You can lay poly down under the tub or shower prior to doing this to prevent any moisture issues while this is drying.

When this sets up, usually with 24-48 hours, your tub or shower bottom will be rock solid supported. This does 2 things, prevents any possibility of potential cracking within the fiberglass/acrylic and eliminates any movement at the tub/shower drain assembly or potential leaks that could happen."

Hope this helps!

Old 11-20-04, 04:55 PM
royboy353
Visiting Guest
tub repair

Originally Posted by ksrountree
These hairline cracks are caused from movement of the tub. Fiberglass tubs expand and contract when changes in temperature and weight is applied to them. Over time the movement causes stress cracks which are normally just on the surface. Kits are available for repairing and touching up these stress cracks. search online under fiberglass repair kits. If allowed to continue, the crack will work its way completely through the surface causing a leak.
could you please give the names of some fiberglass repair kits that are not too hard to work with. i have some big cracks in my tub/shower combo. home depot is one of my local vendors.

roy

Old 11-20-04, 05:01 PM
royboy353
Visiting Guest
cracks in my tub

Could you please give the names of some fiberglass repair kits that are not too hard to work with. i have some big cracks in my tub/shower combo. home depot is one of my local vendors.

roy

Old 11-20-04, 06:40 PM
Roy,

I would suggest a professional.. They have the tools and knowledge on how to do this. They guarantee the work.

When it comes to fiberglass repair kits, I don't recommend any but you can do a web search or talk to your local auto parts store.

I think that DIY repairs of this nature are a band-aid approach and don't look that well. You do what you feel is necessary.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: