vanity depth

Old 11-11-04, 06:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy vanity depth

I am about to redo a long, narrow (13 1/2 feet long by 55 1/2 inches wide) bathroom. I will have about 8' of vanity and linen closet along one wall. The old vanity is 21" deep (22" deep counter top). I am considering using an 18" deep vanity and linen closet, but can't visualize how that would look. Seems like the extra floor space would be nice, but wonder if the vanity would look too skimpy? Would I miss the 2" of depth in looks or use?

Any opinions, advise will be appreciated! This won't be cheap, so I want to avoid a mistake if possible. Thanks!

jky

Old 11-11-04, 07:07 AM
Arrow

i've moved your question to the Bathrooms forum. i think you need the advice of a residential building designer or contractor. these guys here will set you straight.

thanks for your question & good luck with your project!

Old 11-11-04, 09:55 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
The first and foremost thing to consider is finding a sink that will fit into a shallower depth cabinet.

Old 11-11-04, 10:53 AM
jyaggie,

I agree with Sawdustguy. Sink size will be smaller than what you would usually obtain for a vanity. The sink will be 16" versus the 19". The cost will be slightly higher as these are not commonly used but you might get a good buy with some looking around. This is, of course, if you are not considering a cultured marble/onyx top but a self rimming or undermount sink.

My question though is why are you want to go shallow with your new vanity?

3 inches can make a big difference in appearance especially since you have an 8 ft vanity. It may make it look too long and narrow. True, gaining 3 inches of extra room may be nice but if don't have to, I'd stay with the 21" depth.

There are other ways to compensate for the shallow depth cabinets and that is color and any other items that would enhance it, countertop material, mirrors, lighting, faucet choice, etc.

My suggestion, go with what you like and don't worry about what we like. At least you are aware of the choices and things to look out for.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-11-04, 11:21 AM
vanity depth

Thanks for the information. Sounds like I would be better off sticking with the standard 21" vanity, especially with the sink issue. I appreciate your quick responses to my question!

jky

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: