Replacing Vinyl flooring with ceramic tiles

Old 11-18-04, 07:10 AM
ursami
Visiting Guest
Replacing Vinyl flooring with ceramic tiles

I am remodelling my bathroom and replacing my vinyl floor with ceramic tiles. Should I remove toilet for this job or just go around it. Is there an easy way to remove the toilet?

Old 11-18-04, 07:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
ursami, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I would suggest removing the toilet to tile. One reason is that trimming the tile to fit around the toilet is a pain and time consuming. Another reason is that if you ever replace the toilet, it probably won't have the same shape on the bottom so you would have to add or remove tile for looks.
To remove the toilet, shut off the water supply valve under the toilet. Flush the toilet and hold the flapper open to remove as much water as possible. Sponge out the remaining water or if you have a flexible supply line, remove it at the supply valve and drain into a container.(if not doing this now,remember to disconnect it after sponging all remaining water from tank before lifting the toilet off the floor) Remove the caps on the base of the toilet that cover the hold down bolts. Remove the nuts and lift the toilet straight up off the bolts. (have a container ready for some more water that will be in the toilet trap and tip the toilet back to drain this water). I don't know how thick your tile is but if it sits too high you will have to get a flange extender to raise the flange up so it will seal properly when done. Buy a new wax seal and I always buy new closet bolts to be safe. Some of the new wax seal kits come with new bolts.Stick a rag in the hole in the flange while you are working to keep sewer gases from entering your home while tiling. Good luck on your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: