Weight Problems with Tile for and Shower

Old 11-18-04, 04:25 PM
T
Tao
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weight Problems with Tile floor and Shower

I have gutted my 2nd floor bathroom, sink, toilet, flooring and tub. I want to put a tile floor and tile shower in but am concerned about the weight of the material. The house is about 100 years old. The room measures approximately 9x9. The floor joists are 16 inches on center. running perpendicular with the tub. They are 2 x 8. On the joists are 1x6's, and I mean true 1x6s, not 3/4 x 5 3/4. Lastly, on top of the 1x6 is APA rated sheathing at a width of 23/32. That's what was stamped on the sheet.

There is a little sagging of the floor in the kitchen which is directly below the bathroom in question. I don't know if it is pertinent but the house was moved and set on a new cinderblock foundation.

I welcome any opinions on if the structure can support the weight of a tile floor and shower.

Thanks for the opinions. I'm not a real polished DIY'er but I'm working at it.

Old 11-19-04, 06:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tao,

There would be no problem in what you want to do. Problem though is that either insufficient footings or the existing joists were sagging to begin with and need to have new joists sistered to the existing to get the floor straight. This is normal for older homes, 75 +.

You may want to have someone look at this to get things back to a level state.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: