Tub Removal-what material is this tub?

Old 11-19-04, 05:40 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Tub Removal-what material is this tub?

Hi,
My buddy called me over last night
He's ripping up his bathroom next week and wanted suggestions about how to remove his cast iron tub
It's on the far wall and goes from completely from one side of the room to the other
He said the tub is from 1963 when the house was built
It sure doesn't feel like fiberglass, but I couldn't get a magnet to stick to it if I glued it on
The instructions I found here were great
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=188271
But shouldn't a magnet stick to a steel or iron tub?
Thanks in advance for any help

Old 11-19-04, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
slickshift,

Since you read the posting where I mentioned methods of removal, then it is a matter of doing it based upon what it is. Did you hit it with a hammer? Sounds like metal?

If it doesn't stick, who cares, it's coming out anyway!

Use a large maul as discussed, if it it dents, sawzall time, if it breaks/cracks - keep swinging! Use goggles, cover any windows and wear a long sleeve shirt.

Good luck!

Old 11-19-04, 06:55 AM
S
Thanks for the quick reply
Just checking!
Just didn't want to find out it was some weird fiberglass or something they used in '63 and the sawsall makes it melt or the sledge makes it splinter into 2 million asbestos pieces or something dumb like that

If it breaks-keep swinging
If it dents-sawsall time

Thank you!

Old 11-19-04, 06:58 AM
slickshift,

No problem!

Sawzall won't make the fiberglass melt and there is no asbestos.

You won't have any trouble.

Good Luck!

Old 11-24-04, 12:32 PM
Lee B
Visiting Guest
I just replaced the tub in my 1964 condo. It was cast iron, and weighed about 350 pounds. My neighbor said that I could break it up with a hammer, and easily remove it. Uh huh...Keep in mind that I am a 36 year old, 200 pound guy in good physical shape. Using a 24 ounce hammer, I beat the .... of it, and only cracked it (sent shards of porcelain everywhere - wear goggles!). Finally, I was able to make a hole in it. Sure I could have swung a 10 pound hammer for a complete destruction, but I had a better idea.

Since I was going to install a new tub where the old one was (with no intentions of removing the studs), I figured that I would have to learn the choreography of getting the new tub in by experimenting getting the old tub out. If you've done the math, you'll quickly figure out that you can't simply tilt up one end and pull it out.

Disconnect the drain first.

What worked for me (and you should have help doing this), was to slide the tub toward me a little bit (I had 3" with the tile removed), and tip the tub rearward. Simultaniously while tipping the tub rearward, I pulled up on it to slide the rear legs toward me. Note that the far, rear leg will want to drop into the drain area hole, so you may need to lift it a bit. Once I had the tub on its rear side, I pushed it back against the wall. I pulled on the end opposite of the drain toward me. The gap in the studs around the spout area accomodated the corner of the tub. I continued to pull the tub out on its rear side. Once clear, I stood it up on end, and removed it from the bathroom (a very small one I must add)

Paying close attention to my removal method, the new tub easily fit into place. What made the procedure so simple was remembering the choreography of the removal. This also allowed me to place various blocks/pads under the new tub on installation (knowing where to put them in advance). Without that experience, who knows what kind of damage that I may have done to the new tub.

Oh yeah, two strong guys can easily handle a cast iron tub. You won't have any room in the bathroom (especially if it's the size of mine) for anyone else. Also, you will want to wear good work gloves to protect your hands. Trust me on that one.

Old 11-24-04, 01:54 PM
S
Hi guys,
It's out
It's cast iron
It's heavy
It turns out my buddy is also going to re-dry wall (or greenwall) the room
So we removed the oldy but moldy sheet-blob (it sure wasn't sheet-rock) around the tub and that gave us juuuuuusssttt enough manuvering room to get it out in one piece
I'm pretty surprised
If the studs were an inch over I don't think it would've worked
Thanks for all the tips!

Old 11-24-04, 05:43 PM
slickshift,

Congrats! and you're very welcome!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: