toilet trouble

Old 11-24-04, 04:06 PM
roooney
Visiting Guest
toilet trouble

how can i get my toilet to flush a bit better? The thing needs a good couple of flushes just to get rid of toilet paper, is there a way to do anything to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-04, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it takes more than 1 flush then you may have a partial clog in it. A toilet auger is what you need to clean it out if it is in the toilet trap itself. Otherwise it is a clog further down the drain.
You can try a product called Drain Care first. It is sold in most stores including HD, Lowes and Ace and Walmart. Follow the directions. It takes overnight but is an enzyme drain cleaner that clings to the clog and eats it. It is safe for all sewage systems. Good luck.

Old 11-26-04, 07:00 PM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
Another thought are the rim holes. When you flush the toilet, water enters the bowl through these holes. If some become clogged with mineral deposits (for example) the water entering the bowl can be reduced. Reduced enough to cause flushing problems.

You can take a mirror and look at the inside rim. You may be able to see these deposits. Flush the toilet and see how much water pours out. And when you flush it, is the wc completely emptied? And emptied quickly?

Some plumbers turn off the water supply to the toilet, then empty the bowl. I believe they'll pour white vinegar into the overflow tube. The vinegar tends to soften the mineral deposits. Then they 'pick' the holes in order to clear them.

Point is that before I started attacking the drain with an auger, I'd check the rim. Only takes a moment. And before doing that I'd simply take a bucket of water and dump it into the bowl. If the water you dumped doesn't flush easily, chances are you have a clog. However if that bucket of water does flush easily, you need to look elsewhere - and the rim holes is where I would start.

Aarno