Warming the bathroom floor-"SunTouch"

Old 11-24-04, 04:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Warming the bathroom floor-"SunTouch"

So I'm in the tile store looking at tile for the shower and the bathroom floor and I see this little display for SunTouch. It's like a very thin gauge heating coil (+/- 3/32" diameter) laid within a thin nylon mesh. It's to be rolled out, fastened to slab or backerboard, thin spread the thinset and lay the tile.

They had a little counter display in the store with about 1/2 a square foot set up and it was warm to the touch. I've got friends in New Mexico, Colorado and Montana with radiant heat in their floors but those are seious, liquid systems. Since we're in Texas, short, generally mild winters this might be just the ticket to unchill our floors in the AM.

Has anyone installed, used or seen one of these set-ups before?

Any experience of any kind is appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

Old 11-24-04, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Frank,

I was looking at these initially for a client but due to our northern climate, we needed something better. We choice hydronic application instead.

The electric units that I found, ran on 110v and would only take the chill off the floor tile but could do no more. The product cost was extreme but operational cost was low. I found that the cost of these in-floor electrics can range from $30 - $50 per sq.ft.. Not sure what prices were thrown at you but your friends would probably like it. These can work well for the purpose intended. Most are not intended to be "used for heating the entire habitable space" just the floor.

Some brand names include

InFloor
NuHeat
Warm Touch

Hope this helps!

Old 11-27-04, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks Doug;

Anyone else got any experience? I think I'll cross-post this to ceramic tile forum.

Interstingly enough the brochure I've got says about $700 for an "average" size room, whatever that is. Since I'd only run about 10' X 3' if it was $100-$200 it would probably be worth it.

Frank

Old 12-03-04, 10:10 AM
HomeBuilder
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Good Floor heater

Hi,
I already told that somewhere, such products are very popular now.
I build houses for my clients and 90% of them want their floor to be heated. It's really nice. They are almost "must-have" now in Europe. It is really easy to install, just roll it over in put regular amount of cement on top.
I used to purchase suntouch before but recently found similar heater, even more durable and for much less money.
Go to :
http://www.thermosoftinternational.com/flooring.htm

They also have heaters for laminate floors, but I never used them yet.

By the way, they are manufacturers, not just some distributors...

Alex

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: