Flexing Bathtub

Old 11-30-04, 05:46 PM
jbrant3
Visiting Guest
Flexing Bathtub

I had an acrylic whirlpool bathtub installed recently. It was installed in a bed of mortar for support. Most of the tub feels really firm/hard when you stand in it, however, there is one area that "flexes." You can push it down with your foot and feel the mortar underneath it so I am assuming that particular part of the tub's floor didn't "stick" to the mortar when it set. I am concerned that eventually a crack will form in that small part of the tub's floor. Can anyone give me advice on this? What is really difficult is that the tub is completely surrounded with ceramic tile and to get to the part where the mortar is, all the tile on the front side would have to be torn out. Please help!

Old 11-30-04, 05:58 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Three thoughts:

Do you have access to the bottom of the tub/mortar bed, like through a basement or crawl space?

I would be contacting whomever installed it, and have them deal with the problem, as I do not believe it was done correctly, and yes it will probably crack.

You might want to post in the ceramic tile forum, as they have experience with mud bases.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: