tub surround renovation

Old 12-01-04, 10:01 AM
Dubl D LA
Visiting Guest
Question tub surround renovation

undefined
i am a fairly novice renovator and need to replace a tub surround. i think i know how to get the existing one down. cut the caulk, pry the surround off once the bath fixtures have been removed. i think this is correct.

The new surround will likely be cultured marble and installed by the marble contractor but they won't do any prep work to get the tub area ready for the new surround.

the next step is where i am unsure how to proceed. is backerboard the best way to go or do i have to anything if the existing whatever is behind the surround (sheetrock, greenrock, or backerboard) is OK?

If whatever is there is not OK, then what next-- demolish what is there?
If i have to replace whatever is there, what's best to use?
Is this a job i can do fairly easily?
Do the seams need to be filled if i am using backerboard as a replacement?
If so, filled with what?
How thick on the backerboard?

I know this is a lot, but i want to make sure i get it right the first time.

thanks for any help or suggestions

Old 12-07-04, 05:25 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
I would find out what backing your new surround needs. Pay special attention to the thickness of the materials. If you are getting cultured marble you may not be able to put any backing up depending on the marble's thickness.

Old 12-07-04, 06:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dubl D LA,

Almost all cultured wall panels are 3/8" in thickness. These can be installed over wallboard or cement board. Cement board is the choice for backers. Adhesively placed (100% silicone) is the most preferred application.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: