Shower Wall Caulking

Old 12-07-04, 04:55 PM
Bryan S.
Visiting Guest
Shower Wall Caulking

Can anyone suggest what is the best brand or type of tub caulking is out there? I recently installed a new shower tub and shower tub wall surround and caulked it with, label reads "GE Silicone I, 100% Silicone Rubber Sealant" kitchen and bath. It now has splitted and mildew has formed. I would appreciate it if anyone could reply w/suggestions. THANK YOU

Old 12-08-04, 05:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bryan S.,

The trouble with the GE Silicone 1 Rubber is that it does shrink. It can shrink up to 35% regardless of what it says. I would suggest GE Silicone II which has minimum shrinkage or try using DAP.

You can use siliconized latex tub and tile sealant or 100% Silicone caulk. The more silicone, the better it is. It also contains a fungicide so your bathtub and wall tiles don't become festooned with that black mold that grows between the tiles (the mold will probably grow anyway but water mixed with a little bleach will take it right off).

Bear in mind that caulking is a maintenance issue and one time will not be the last time. Also the mold issue - caulking is mildew resistant but not mildew proof!

This was provided pgtek,

Silicones:
GE Silicone I Rubber
Multiple applications in your home can benefit from GE Silicone Rubber. GE Silicone Rubber can help you do the job once and do the job right. GE Silicone Rubber is available in easy-to-hold tubes or cartridges.

Possible Applications

* Window & Door
* Siding & trim
* Vents & ducts
* Fills gaps & cracks
* Kitchen & Bath
* Foundations

Features

* Long-lasting
* Remains flexible
* Indoor & outdoor use
* Resistant to cleansers
* Watertight
* Minimal shrinkage

Silicones: GE Silicone II
GE Silicone II combines the convenience of indoor or outdoor use with possible use in a wide variety of applications in and around your home. Silicone II is available in easy-to-hold tubes or cartridges.

Possible Applications

* Window & Door
* Blacktop & Roof
* Kitchen & Bath
* Gutter & Flashing
* Concrete & Masonry
* Aluminum & Metal
* Gasket & Seal

Features

* Indoor & outdoor use
* Watertight
* Excellent adhesion
* Low odor
* Color variety
* Weather-resistant
* Mildew-resistant (Kitchen & Bath only)

Hope this helps

Old 12-08-04, 07:59 PM
Bryan S.
Visiting Guest
Thanks Douglas, I really appreciate your input. You sound like you know what you're really talking about. I'll give the GE II a try. Once again thanks. Bryan

Old 12-08-04, 08:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bryan S,

Thanks and you're very welcome!

If you need anything, just ask us all. We all help each other. Hope things go well.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: