Bathroom Tub/Shower Window Install

Old 12-15-04, 10:05 AM
Oregonian
Visiting Guest
Bathroom Tub/Shower Window Install

You all are the best. My confidence in my own skills grow by the minute at this site!

Anyway, my situation....

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel. In the shower/tub wall, there is an old window. It was a DIY job---combination of glass blocks, slider, and scrap wood. The frame, however, is still in good shape. It is flush with the shower wall, ie there is no window sill for standing water.

My first question is whether or not I should replace this window myself, or pay a professional to do it. I have never installed a window, let alone one in the shower/tub. Is it pretty simple if I go slow and measure twice? I don't want to have to do a bunch of wood working.

My second question, based on the first, is if I put a window in myself, what order do I put down the cement board and cultured marble (I'm using cultured marble as the shower wall material)? I want the window to be flush with the inside wall/cultured marble, so that there is no sill for standing water. I believe this means I will have to 'fur' the window back into the house, in order to eliminate the sill. But how would I go about sealing the area around the window? Would I put the vapor barrier in first, then the cement board, then the cultured marble, then the window? Or would I put the window in before all else.

Sorry for the long question, but I had two quotes yesterday, each over $650 for one stupid window. I can order a custom made window from the depot for less than $300.

Thanks for the details, you folks are fantastic. If you are ever in the Portland Oregon area, let me know and I'll buy you a beer (or 3).
Oregonian

Last edited by Oregonian; 12-15-04 at 10:06 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 12-15-04, 09:08 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First I'll post this http://www.mustee.com/bathwall.shtml scroll to the bottom of the page and they have treatment options for a case similiar to yours.

Only problem I see flushing the window up with the marble is that the perimeter of the window is going to be unatttractive depending on the how the manf. molds the frame. Alot of them have a groove around the inside edge for snapping in different accessories so the windows can be used in many different application. Regardless, before you even measure anything, goto the homecenter where your going to purchase the window and have them tell you how THEY want the window measured. I've found most homecenters want a tight measurement and the window company will automatically deduct the 1/4" off the width and 1/2" off the height, others want to have you give the exact measurement YOU WANT the window to be, so just call and ask first.

As far as installation order, I'd insulate the wall, install the vapor barrier and wrap it into the window opeing BEFORE you install the window and then tape the joints, that way in theory if water was to leak it would run down the face of the vapor barrier behind the cement board and not into the wall cavity.

think I might install the window so it'd be flush with the backer board plus depth of the thin set so the marble would actually cover up the edge of the window frame for a more finished look, then just caulk around the seam between the marble and the window with a good mildew resistant silicone caulk.

With regular tile I've been able to "picture frame" the windows using counter top edging backwards so the water wont be held against the window. I'll try to attach a few photos so you get the idea.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...5/gonzales.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...reddo0020a.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-...closet004a.jpg

Old 12-16-04, 07:48 AM
Oregonian
Visiting Guest
Thanks IHI, I appreciate your help and advice! Cheers

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: