paint peeling of bathtub

Old 12-16-04, 08:47 PM
michadair
Visiting Guest
Question paint peeling of bathtub

I moved into a house that has a bath tub that the previous owners tried to paint. It is now peeling. What should I do?

Old 12-17-04, 02:36 AM
rlvarcoe
Visiting Guest
bath tub

Originally Posted by michadair
I moved into a house that has a bath tub that the previous owners tried to paint. It is now peeling. What should I do?

I guess the obvious answers are repair it or replace it?

Tub liners are also a possibility

From my experience if access to remove it is a possibility and it is a standard size it is less expensive to replace it. If someone tried to paint it obvioulsly it was damaged,

Old 12-18-04, 09:32 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you can replace it yourself,do it, if not have it professionally refinished[$450 or less]. May have no damage at all. Although it will cost to have the refinisher strip it, it is your best option if you don't plan to remodel or replace it youself. Liners can cost $800.00 or more and come in limited colors. Refinish in any color. Maybe do a facelift=refinish tub, new toilet, new sink,faucet and vanity for less than the price of a new tub[plumber] and a few hundred more than a liner. What a deal!!!!.

Tub liners cost the dealers about $150 why do they charge $800.00+ For 1/2 days easy work. To refinish a tub costs about $30 in material but it is MUCH MUCH more work. It looks great when done and will last a long long time.

BTW how long have you lived there. Did you have it inspected. If so I would talk to the dude that inspected it. I would think it should be in any report especially since ALL refinishing jobs done by the homeowner should be obvious to an inspector. He has insurance if he screws up.

Old 12-20-04, 12:17 PM
Bill Syms Jr.
Visiting Guest
Refinished tub

It has been my experience that when homes are being sold and have the bathtubs refinished, they usually start peeling because of poor workmanship. Your real estate agent calls the refinishing outfit that is the cheapest in price, consequently 1/2 the price means 1/2 the quality of the job.

You could call the real estate agent to see if the refinishing outfit will honor their warranty (if they offered one). They will likely say you damaged the tub yourself or the warranty is non-transferable, leaving you with the existing problem.

Your tub needs to be "stripped", meaning removing the existing coating completley from the bathtub and then refinished.

Make sure the outfit you use acid washes the tub to "etch" it (this will make the porcelain on the tub porous), uses a epoxy primer to create a bond to the tub and a urathane, acrylic or enamal top coat. This method will take aproximatley 5 to 7 hours to complete. The refinisher usually returns the next day to regrout / recaulk the tub / tile borders.

In Los Angeles, I charge $325.00 to refinish a tub and $75.00 to strip it. My price is middle of the road, but I see most outfits in the U.S. are about the same.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: