Shower floor leaks - Corian

Old 12-19-04, 06:12 PM
claycalhoun
Visiting Guest
Shower floor leaks - Corian

Our home (purchased used 2 years ago) has what I believe is a Corian floor in the shower. There's a leak somewhere in the floor. I have tried recaulking the seams between the floor and the 'man made marble' walls - but there's still a leak somewhere. I have certified that the leak is not coming from the drain or the plumbing/pipes to the shower heads (pressure tested all). There is no pan under the shower floor - it is directly above the subfloor. Is there anything I can put on this floor to 'seal' it and not ruin the appearance of the floor? (I'm thinking it's Corian, because the floor matches the countertops in the BR; it's definitely not stone; it has some texture that makes you think it was poured and trowled; and has some coloring in it to closely match the walls). All help appreciated!

Old 12-20-04, 05:42 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You say you're sure the leak isn't coming from the drain but have you checked around the lip of the drain in the shower where it meets the shower floor? These are usually sealed with Plumber's Putty and if this was not applied liberally enough or has deteriorated then water may be seeping under the lip.There are other sealants sometimes used and other types of drain "baskets" that don't have visible lips and some that use gaskets but irregardless I'd take a good look at the seal at that point.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: