Hardwood floors in the bathroom?

Old 12-21-04, 12:06 PM
ei_23221
Visiting Guest
Hardwood floors in the bathroom?

I just refinished my origional red heart pine floors through out my 1948 river cottage. I went ahead and removed the old vinyl flooring in the bathroom and had them refinish the pine floors in that room as well. The floors look so good through out that I am considering not covering the refinished floors in the bathroom. My origional plan was to refinish all of the floors in the house as well as the bathroom. I requested that the floor guy put 4 coats of finish in the bathroom and 3 coats in the rest of the house. Once the floors were complete I was planning on covering the newly refinished floors with a thin layer of rolled foam (for scratch protection from the luan) then put down vinyl w/ a luan subfloor. My intention was to protect the newly refinished hardwood floors with the well sealed vinyl while the property is being rented. When I take the property over as a second home I was going to rip up the vinyl floorin so I could enjoy the "newly" refinished floors in the bathroom 8-10 years down the road.

I know what you are saying.... This guy is considering hardwood floors in the batchroom when he plans to rent the property for 8-10 years!!! That is a good way to ruin the hardwood floors!!

Should I cover the hardwood floors with protective foam,luan and a sheet of vinyl while the property is a rental?

,Ethan

Last edited by ei_23221; 12-21-04 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 07:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You should plan on replacing the floors in 8-10 years, regardless of what you cover them with. Renters? Yikes.

If they survive, you will probably have to refinish them anyways, but hey, you might as well try it.
Plan on replacing them and when you take over, consider it a bonus, if you don't.
But I wouldn't bank on having nice wood floors after 8-10 years of renters.

Especially if it's my brother.

Old 12-22-04, 11:25 AM
ei_23221
Visiting Guest
...I plan on covering them

I just spoke to a really good flooring guy that does excellent work for little $.

I would do it myself, but I want to make sure that the seal for the vinyl is nice and tight so not to let water damge the newly refinished floors beneath.

ethan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: