Is glazing necessary on tile or grout or both?

Old 12-28-04, 09:09 AM
mattian
Visiting Guest
Is glazing necessary on tile or grout or both?

I have just had my bathroom redone. As recommended by the contractor, I chose 12x12 tile for the wall around the tub/shower - a floor tile, I think. It looks amazing but I have a concern. If the tiles are not glazed, is there a risk that water might seep through tile into the drywall over time?

Here is a link to the tile that was used:

Ceramica Del Conca 12"x12" Porcelain White Tile
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...1-78287-G3TG20

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-04, 12:07 PM
Bill Syms Jr.
Visiting Guest
Sealing tile

If you used a contractor to install the tile, what did he suggest?

Alot of contractors do not like to seal tile / grout once installed. They will say the tile looks better with a natural surface but reality they do not want to return to the job, wasting a day sealing.

Porcelain tile does not have to be sealed as it has a glazed surface (wall or floor) like a ceramic tile.

If, however you tile is a natural stone it must be sealed as they are very porus.

Ask the person where the tile was purchased. They should be able to tell you how to seal the tile and what to use. If your tile are stone and you do not want a glossy look, there are natural stone sealers that seal the tiles and do not gloss them out.

Old 12-28-04, 08:13 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
I would more concerned about the tile sitting on drywall and not on cement board if inside the shower that will cuase more damage than anything else.
As for the tile itself most tile has a glaze on it that you can't really tell on some,take a peice of the tile and put some water on it if it soaks into the tile then seal the tile if not then just seal the grout.Now most sealers these days are water based so there is no need to just paint the joints ,you can seal the whole tile without having to worry about if you got any on the tile or not,just make sure you read the label first