Cutting and trimming a tub surround

Old 12-29-04, 11:15 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cutting and trimming a tub surround

I would like to install a fiberglass tub surround in soon to be remodeled bathroom. Tub will be replaced. Problem is that there is a single hung window on the side (long) wall, that is smack in the middle of the long side of the surround, approximately 4' up from the top edge of the tub. Clearly there is no problem cutting into the surround to fit around the window opening, but I am having trouble coming up with a classy way to trim out the cut edge where it butts up against the window edges. The bottom edge is no problem since the culteured marble sill will conceal the cut edge. None of the surrounds I have found come with any kind of trim kit. Any ideas?

Old 12-29-04, 03:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
hi Jim,
- I've done this a couple of times and sealed the edges with white plastic 'L' beading that I found in HD. It comes in 1/2 x1/2, 8' long, and has a grooved inside edge to accept glue better. I used PL200 to stick it and finished off with Mono silicone.

Old 12-29-04, 11:15 PM
G
Does the window have wood trim around it. If fit does, my thought would be to carefuly remove the molding , cut the hole in the surround approx 1/4 in inside the ouside edge of the molding and then cut a rabbet in the bcak of the molding with a plane and then reinstall it. After installing it, I would then run a bead of silicone aroung the trim.

Old 12-30-04, 11:22 AM
J
To Gary

Gary
No the window is a wrapped drywall inset about 6 inches to a vinyl replacement window. Thought about the same thing, but the trim OS corner I found is not exactly the same color. The effect kind of looks like a mobile home trim.

I was thinking about getting some cultered marble OS corner, but not sure if they make it.

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: