Concrete floor in 2nd floor bathroom

Old 01-06-05, 07:53 PM
rosenfam
Visiting Guest
Concrete floor in 2nd floor bathroom

I have removed the tile from my second floor bathroom only to discover a concrete/mortar bed underneath. Many tile pieces did not come out easily and there is a fair amount of damage to the concrete. What is the best way to remove the concrete so I can replace with cement backer board for a new tile floor?

Old 01-06-05, 09:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rosenfam,

To avoid any damage to your ceiling below, it may be best to use a masonry blade on a circular saw and make small squares 2 ft x 2 ft and the use a pry bar.
Sometimes just a couple of squares will give you enough room to use just the pry bar from that point on. There will be some dust with this so apply plastic to the barthoom door opening and if this has a window, open it up. If you ahve a forced air system, plug the bathroom register. If this was on first floor I would say break out a sledge and start hitting it. Sometimes it does require alot of force to break it free.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-06-05, 09:37 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Welcome to the DIY Forums

You did not say how old your house is, but it is quite common in older homes to have a concrete base under ceramic tile.

Rather than trying to remove the concrete, you might want to just try leveling the damaged area, and then put down the CBU before laying new tile.

In my mother-in-law's house the concrete below the tile was 8" thick, and I rented a jackhammer. Not a choice in this instance, since the toilet flange leaked and wet rotted several floor joists.

I'd keep the project as simple as possible.

Old 01-07-05, 05:48 AM
rosenfam
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. This is in a third bathroom that doesn't get much use (especially now) in a 40 yr old house. The concrete is about 6" thick. We're talking about a 6x8 bathroom so the concrete area is roughly 6x6. Can anyone tell me what is below the concrete? Plywood? Ceiling drywall? Is there likely to be anything inside the concrete, e.g. rebar or joists, that I need to watch out for?

If I choose to remove the concrete what will the CBU lay on/attach to? Am I likely to have to add subflooring or build anything up?

Old 01-07-05, 05:50 AM
rosenfam
Visiting Guest
Rick, I just noticed you are from Lake Murray - I lived in Columbia for two years while attending grad school at USC and have gone sailing on Lake Murray a few times. Loved it there. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-07-05, 05:57 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rosenfam,

Are you sure it is 6" thick? I would expect at least 2".

Below this would be your subfloor. You might have felt paper under it but below that is subfloor. Once the concrete is out, you can add 3/4 ply and then Durock then your tile.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: