condensation on toilet cistern

Old 01-10-05, 10:38 AM
voovon
Visiting Guest
Red face condensation on toilet cistern

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Black]
Our bathroom is very small and has a shower next to the toilet. The toilet cistern drips very badly with condensation. I've tried a fluffy cistern cover but that just gets yukky very quickly. What can I use as insulation please?

Old 01-10-05, 06:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
voovon,

If we are talking about toilet tank sweating then here are 4 options.

1. You could install insulating foam products to isolate the water from the tank sides. Home Depot carries it for a reasonable price. I think they are about $7-$10. You completely empty the water from the tank, then use a hairdryer to ensure that the sides are absolutely dry. Cut the foam and apply adhesive. Let it sit for 6 - 8 hours and it will be ready to be refilled and useable. This usually works but is not a guarantee.

2. The second oiption is to install a mixer valver which uses both hot and cold water to "mix" - you can adjust the temp as you want until it stops the condensation issue. Depending on how far away the hot water heater is, it may take quite awhile for the hot water to get there so in some cases, just running a hot water line is sufficient. Works well but you may have to hire a plumber.

3. Lastly and more expensive is to replace the guts of the toilet and replace with a "pressure assisted" unit, like Flushmate - 1 gallon per flush. This option is a water saver and works very well - no tank sweating at all.

http://www.flushmate.com/DocumentLib...ments.asp?id=3

4. Total toilet replacement - Pressure Assisted Toilet - should you need to replace your old toilet. Might cost $260 on up but well worth it. This toilet has a pressure tank in it inside the water tank. Guaranteed to do the job and you get a great new toilet besides.

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?F...isted%20toilet

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: