height for niche in shower

Old 01-19-05, 05:36 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
height for niche in shower

I'm remodeling a tub/shower and would like to put niche in the wall for shampoo, etc. What is the typical height/size for this? Also, I assume that I install backerboar here also for the tile. Should the bottom ledge be sloped for water runoff? For the back wall of the niche, do I need to provide some framing for the backerboard, or can I just use liq nails to attachit to the back side of the drywall from the next room?
thx, Don

Old 01-19-05, 10:31 AM
T
Around elbow level if you predominantly shower, or you could do a 2 level niche for bathers to reach soap, etc, more conveniently. There are no rules. If you measure it out so that it will be the size of the tiles, you will be able to frame the inside of the nich with bullnose tile without having any cut edges. For how to build a niche, I answered this earlier this week and here's a link to the thread.
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=196853 . THe waterproofing of the niche is one of the most important steps.

Old 02-11-05, 12:19 PM
rogerb
Visiting Guest
Further to waterproofing recessed areas in a shower. Schluter Systems manufactures a product called KIRDI. It is a polyethelene fabric with an embeded fleece on both sides. Simply use thinset as glue and KIRDI as wallpaper. Overlap seams by 2". You can actually make a drywall bucket using this stuff. The system I prefer is to use neutral coloured tile in the shower without any recessed niches and then use surface mount corner caddies. Not as "custom" a look, but it will not leak.

Old 02-12-05, 06:22 AM
T
Nor would the method I desribed. Redguard is approved for use as a shower pan liner. Kerdi is a great product but to do a niche with kerdi would be quite a trick with all all those layers of Kerdi band, Kerdi corners, etc. In my opinion, niches look much better than add on soap dishes and shelves. Given that this thread is 3 weeks old, his niche is probably done

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: