Plastic shower walls installation

Old 01-31-05, 12:34 PM
boriska00
Visiting Guest
Question Plastic shower walls installation

I am looking to install plastic shower walls over existing tile. Is it possible to do that without having to rip out the shower base first? Any advice is appreciated!

Old 01-31-05, 08:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
boriska00,

Most manufacturers do not recommend applying plastic wall panels over ceramic tile. You may want to do a web search on plastic panels and application over ceramic tile. You'll see what I mean and I would recommend against the thought.

The issue of having to remove your shower base, if the existing was installed properly is of no concern. Shoer bases are secured by a lip that is attached to your wall studs. You need not remove it to install a good shower wall surround. The ceramic tile that is there must not be in good shape and by rights should be removed. Most good quality surrounds are applied directly to the studs. The economical ones require a flat surface and are applied with adhesive. So if you want to do this the cheap way, remove your tile and existing substrate and install new M/R drywall and then apply your plastic panels. Seems like allot of work doing it this way.

Better option though is to remove what you have and install a good fiberglass/acrylic wall surround unit. If your existing shower base is in question, this would be a good time to consider replacement. Faster and it will last!

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: