Cutting Solid Surface Counter

Old 02-11-05, 03:24 PM
mujeep
Visiting Guest
Cutting Solid Surface Counter

My friend has a new solid surface bathroom counter top. She wants me to cut the whole in it for an antique wash basin. Never did it before and not sure what tools to use. I think the material is Corian of Quartz. It's not granite.

Need help on this one. Thanks to all suggestions.

Old 02-12-05, 07:46 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need carbide bits but otherwise the process for corian is the same as for wood. The best way is with a router (make a template out of 1/4" plywood and stick it to the corian with carpet tape) then drill starter holes for the router at intervals and cut out the hole with the router. You could make the cut out with a sabre saw if you can find the carbide bits. If the sink is a top mount then the sink will cover the edges and you won't need to rout and sand smooth.

If it's cultured marble you will probably need an abrasive cutting tool instead of wood-type carbide bits.

You will want to do this outdoors if at all possible because it's going to be messy. If not, be sure to mask and put up plastic to contain the dust to as small an area as possible. Either way, be sure to use a face mask and goggles to protect yourself from the particles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: