Help Me Please!

Old 02-22-05, 07:06 AM
heyhil
Visiting Guest
Red face Help Me Please!

I am taking on my first home improvement project. I am planning on selling my home and would like to update our countertops. We currently have an ugly laminate top and I would like to replace it. My sister mentioned some kind of spray but I don't know if that actually exist. Maybe she was referring to a spray that you use to hold down the laminate. I don't know. I'm clueless. My question is this - do I need to remove the current laminate that is currently there? If so, then how? Secondly, how do I replace it? I really need some guidance and a starting point. ANY information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. Clueless in Atlanta.

Old 02-22-05, 07:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
heyhil,

What you are suggesting seems a waste of time. Would it not be better to just replace the counter tops with new rather than trying to replace the laminate? If this is postformed (round edges) then you have no choice but to replace. Since the replacement is due to color, painting this is not wise. New owners might experience problems and you will be called on the carpet to address the issue. Do you really want this?

Think about the reasons and don't try band aid approaches with this. You're trying to sell it and the cost is minimal in comparison.

Good Luck!

Old 02-22-05, 07:43 AM
heyhil
Visiting Guest
Misunderstood

I never seem to word my questions right. I, by no means, am trying to bandaid my countertop. As I mentioned my sister mentiond something about spray and paint - so I wasn't sure if there was some kind of spray on laminate product that was out there and that worked. If no such thing exists then that idea is tossed out the window and now on to replacing the laminate. Should I remove what is currently there or just place the new laminate on top. I have checked a couple of diy websites and a few people have recommended adding new laminate on top of what's currently there. The laminate is in excellent condition - I just don't like the color. Hope I made myself a little bit more clearer.

Old 02-22-05, 07:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
heyhil,

No problem.

If the laminate is in good condition, not cracking or no chips, then painting it can be done. In my opinion, I would not consider such an option. My concern is the paint chipping soon after you do all this work. Paint is softer than the plastic laminate and thus would be providing concerns from a health standpoint. Eventually, sooner than later, the appearance of this would look terrible and after going thru the whole process, replacement is more economical and wiser choice.

Proper steps to prepping the counter is essential or all this work will go to waste. Use a product like xylol to ensure that all dirt and grease is gone. Be sure to use good chemical-resistant gloves; wear a respirator, shut off any pilot lights. This stuff is very toxic and highly flammable. Once this is done, break out 150-grit sandpaper and wipe them down again with xylol. You need a very good primer so that it adheres well and is a good bond for the final coat. One product is XIM; they have several solvent-based products suitable for your application. It is best to have this sprayed on versus using a brush or roller. Once this is applied, let it set for 2 or 3 days to cure. Then lightly sand this with 220-grit paper. At that point, wipe everything down thoroughly and then apply with a latex or oil-based paint. Oil base is better as it is easier to clean and provides a smoother finish.

After you finish this project you will need to treat the tops with moderate care to preserve the new finish. A cutting board will be mandatory whenever you use a knife and avoid sliding metal cans and other heavy objects across the countertops. Every six months clean the tops, sand them lightly and apply a maintenance coat of clear urethane.

Seems like allot of work when considering new countertops (complete) would be better option.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-07-05, 08:40 AM
geeenuh
Visiting Guest
It exists

There is a spray refinish for countertops. I've seen it done on TV and if you view the Kitchen thread archives there are references to websites for this refinishing technique and companies that perform it for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: