Mills Pride Cabinets

Old 03-05-05, 12:36 PM
JohnF1444
Visiting Guest
Question Mills Pride Cabinets

We have been shopping for a while for new cabinets and are having a hard time deciding. We looked at Home Depots Mills Pride and Thomasville's lines and the quotes for our kitchen ranged from 6K for the MP and 12K for Thomasville. CAD$. A local cabinet maker quoted me 12K as well, but I really did not like the quality of the drawer assembly - stapled particle board with exposed nails, staples and screws.

A recent CR review rated the MP as 'good' and the Thomasville as better but not a whole lot more.
Are they really worth twice the cost?
What do you all think of the MP? It's affordable and looks good.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Old 03-05-05, 01:45 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
We have been shopping for a while for new cabinets and are having a hard time deciding. We looked at Home Depots Mills Pride and Thomasville's lines and the quotes for our kitchen ranged from 6K for the MP and 12K for Thomasville. CAD$. A local cabinet maker quoted me 12K as well, but I really did not like the quality of the drawer assembly - stapled particle board with exposed nails, staples and screws.

Well, for a custom cabinetmaker to staple his drawers and use particle board plus screws, I'd be a bit skeptical. That isn't what a custom cabinetmaker is about. A true custom cabinetmaker will offer you different types of drawers and depending upon your budget, you would choose from there. I would hope he's not talking about raw particle board

I use a pre-finished Birch drawer that the bottom is grooved in on all sides, but if a customer wants to upgrade to dovetail drawers, then I'll accomodate him. I would also find a few other cabinetmakers to get a quote from. For a custom cabinetmaker to compare himself in price with Home Depot cabinet pricing, I would be questionable about what you're getting for your money. You can count on a quality custom cabinetmaker being at least 20% to 30% more than a high-line cabinet at depot or expo.

A recent CR review rated the MP as 'good' and the Thomasville as better but not a whole lot more.
Are they really worth twice the cost?

The mills pride, you have to put together yourself. Is it worth twice the cost, well, it all depends upon what you're looking to spend and how quality of a cabinet you want. If you're staying in the house more than a few years, then I'd say invest your money into something that will last you a long time. Mills Pride, from time to time, changes their line and you could find that some parts would be difficult to locate, if you end up with issues later on.

What do you all think of the MP? It's affordable and looks good.

Looks can be decieving. Anyone can make a lemon look good. I have heard wonderful things about Mills Pride and I did one for a friend a long while ago. It takes about 1/2 hour to put each cabinet together. Base cabinets will take a bit longer. Make sure you screw the backs on, don't just use the nails they give you.

Old 03-05-05, 03:50 PM
MCMBIC
Visiting Guest
Just my opinion...

I used MP in my kitchen and I was very pleased with final outcome. They were very easy to assemble and hang and the color was exactly what I was looking for. After installation all it took was a couple of small, simple adjustments to the drawers and doors and everything works like a charm. Home Depot had all of the cabinets I needed in stock and I also ordered a couple of special order doors that came in about a week.

Budget was a big thing for me and I didn't have the option of even talking to a custom cabinet maker because I knew I wouldn't be able to afford it. (Don't get me wrong, they are not over-priced, just good at what they do and skill costs money) If price is an issue, and you are going to DIY, I would look into the MP a little more. They worked great for me.

On a side note, I have a relative that works for American Woodmark and even with their discount they couldn't come close to the MP. Not advertising, just showing the cost efficiency.

Hope this helps.
MCMBIC

Old 03-05-05, 06:07 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have used MP to remodel the kitchens and baths in our Palm Springs Condo 5 years ago and have no complaints. I also used them in a Log Home that we built at Big Bear Lake as well as in my wifes's craft room in our main residence.

In each case, I used a diferent door style.

There are a couple of things to watch out for, but they have to do with clearances, etc.

Don't place cabinets directly up against the ceiling or against side walls. You need to be able to install spacers and trim or mouldings to finish off the places where things come together.

Make sure you have spacers at inside corners so that doors and drawers have room to clear.

The savings that you get by using MP are substantial but you are not getting a fine wood finish. They are nice cabinets and quite serviceable, but not fine furniture.

IMO, MP will last quite well with a minimum of care. For style purposes, you will probably want to get some nicer knobs and/or pulls. The stuff they supply is junk and looks it.

As you probably know, if you want the best cabinets it will cost over $20000 for your kitchen. If you are comfortable with the appearance of MP and don't mind putting the cabinets together yourself then it's probably a lot less than $6000. I assume tht the $6000 figure included installation by HD.

Old 03-07-05, 04:57 AM
JohnF1444
Visiting Guest
MP Cost at HD

thanks for the replies!

Joe: the cost of 6K was in CAD$ and not USD$. Installation was extra. I have about 30 linear feet of cabinets to install in a G-style layout with an angled dishwasher unit as the counter effectively given me about a 5' counter from the left wall.

HD also strongly insists that they do the installation at an additional cost of 2k otherwise they will not guarentee the units. I've never installed cabinets but am pretty handy and installation does not look like rocket science. On the other hand, if I goof it up and having already convinced my wife that we could not afford a custom job, I may give it to them to install so as not to live in the dog-house for the rest of my life!

Old 03-07-05, 07:34 AM
J
Cabinet installation is not rocket science. Just make sure that the walls and floor are straight and square and plumb. If they are not, install furring strips.
Make sure you have solid backing to attach the wall cabinets to.

Put everything in place before attaching anything and verify clearances and fit. Since your dishwasher is going to be on an angle, you need spacers between the adjacent cabinets and the dishwasher (1-1/2" - 2") so the doors/drawers and the dishwasher door don't interfer with each other.

As you install the cabinets, they should not only be attached to the walls, but also to each other near the fronts. There are special bolts available for this.

I would suggest having the countertops installed by HD or a subcontractor. If you can afford it, spend a little extra for the countertop - it"s the one thing that can really make a difference.

Old 03-07-05, 09:35 AM
JohnF1444
Visiting Guest
thanks for the tips

Thanks Joe!
We are going to go with Granite counters. A custom/more expensive cabinet + granite would have really thrown us out of budget. I figure the MP's + granite will be a good compromise and keep us at about 10K.

The spacers you mentioned were already accounted for by HD in their design.
I downloaded the MP install guide of their site. Doesn't seem that complicated. Will probably give it a go myself.

Thanks again.

Old 03-07-05, 02:22 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you considered going online with XXXXXXXXXXX.com?

They have KraftMaid, Kitchen Craft and Riviera cabients.
They will send you (free of charge) spec books, price books and color brochures. And if you want to see some doorstyles or finishes they have samples that they will send to you to look at for 3 weeks and then send back...all at no cost to you. And they don't charge sales tax.

At least worth a try...OH and they give you a FREE quote!

Last edited by twelvepole; 10-02-05 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-09-05, 08:00 AM
B
Just thought I would put my 2cents in. I used to sell kitchen and baths. We recently finish building our own house (2years ago) and used Mills Pride cabinets. I was extremely impressed with how nice the unassemble cabinets were compared with what was available when I was in the industry. They are hands down in my opinion the best bang for the buck. My wife and I spent 3-4 days assembling the cabinets. Then installed them. The previous comment stated to leave a gap at the top for molding. This is correct. A gap may not be necessary if you plan it out. But don't hang them without considering where the molding will fit. I bought the 42" tall cabinets. Since I was saving money on the cabinets I got all the goodies. I have tall cabinets, pullouts, finished panels and the deep wide (30" or 36") drawers. I can't tell you how nice it is. Rather than real granite I bought a Blackstar Granite laminate top with a beveled edge. If you saw it you would think it was granite. I have the polished finish and after 2 years it still shows no scratches. Most sellers offer this color. I think it is from Wilsonart. If you go this route make sure it is ordered with the bevel on all appropriate edges and for added look get the end or side splashes. That is just one more thing to make it look "real". My only complaint about the cabinets was that glass was not offered in more sizes. I remedied this by cutting out the panel myself (easy) and having glass cut to fit. Being that these cabinets are in stock unassembled cabinets you are limited in some (not so common) sizes. I do not put a lot of thought into the dovetailed (fancy) drawers. It is more for show. The standard in the industry is glued and stapled. I have had no drawer problems at home or in my professional experience. If you are worried about the look buy nice drawer organizers. They work and make the drawer look good if anyone wants to see. Also I do not recommend the bathroom line of cabinets. They were made in Mexico for Mills Pride and the fit was not as good as the kitchen line. So, hope this put you to ease. I sure wish I knew of this forum before. It is nice to hear people's experiences to make an informed decision. Feel confident and spent that extra saved money where it really counts.....The appliances and decor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: