height of breakfast bar versis counter top

Old 03-10-05, 03:12 PM
ironmanL21
Visiting Guest
height of breakfast bar versis counter top

i will be installing a breakfast bar that includes both a counter top that will match the existing counter at 36". and it will also have a bar top. My question is there a standered height for bar tops?

Old 03-10-05, 05:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ironmanL21,

The best height for a dining counter (breakfast bar) is 42 in.. Standard counter top height is 36" as you mentioned. I do sometimes go slightly higher than 42" to 45". This would be when I place outlets/switches within the backsplash area of the lower counter although this can be done also with 42".

Here is an examples of that,

http://dougaphs.smugmug.com/gallery/279304/2/11082479

http://dougaphs.smugmug.com/gallery/167904/1/6289218

Hope this helps!

Old 03-10-05, 06:08 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Bar height

Flat bars will be the same height as a normal kitchen countertop with the standard 11" overhang using a 36" slab. Raised bars are usually up 6", so your 42" is good. The depth of the bar is 11". This will require the tall bar stools. The island in my showroom is a raised bar with 11" overhang and two pretty wooden corbels supporting it. I found two cheap bar stools at a discount store for $25 each. Some folks want a dropped bar behind the island so kids can sit in chairs. Counter is at 30" like diningroom table. NKBA suggests 24" counter space for each bar stool. So, 48" bar can seat two. 36" mini island is a squeeze for two. Thus, I suggest an overhang on the end to prevent the elbow battles if island is this small.

If they are not putting a sink or appliance in an island, I tend to recommend a flat topped island with a 36" slab. This gives you good work area for rolling dough and spreading out cooking sheets and cooling racks.

I don't like the raised island in my showroom even though I don't use it for food prep because I don't do food prep, but because I know I have this wild woman inside me that wants to spread out. The previous person I was was a master cook who cooked for large groups and catered all my organizations' meetings. Now, I dump my groceries on the island and put them away from there in the fridge and my cabinets. (You know how hard it is to unload 6 frozen dinners, 2 cans of soup, 1 bottle of juice, 1 loaf of bread, 1 package of shaved ham, 1 package of cheese, 24 bottles of water, and 12 Cokes? I only go to the store every 6-8 wks and that's what I buy. Sorry, I have no desire to eat. When I enter a kitchen to cook, I am programmed to cook for 6-8 or more. It has been so long that I don't know if I can do it again or not. There is no program in my brain to cook for one. Just give me a slice of toast and a cup of tea.)

The raised bar in the peninsula you did with sink was beautiful. Overhang looked standard. Homeowner had no barstools. Kiddie table was placed beneath. Assume kiddie table will be replaced as kids get old enough to sit at bar. Thank goodness they went with square doors. I am sick and tired of arches. I love sharp lines. No frills, no lace, no dresses, nothing fancy. I like it plain and straight. I like it crispy. The oak is warm and the room welcoming. With the kiddie table, I expect little people to appear at any moment. This is a happy little kitchen.

p

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: