Need to take the countertop off...

Old 03-21-05, 08:17 AM
CorianChick
Visiting Guest
Question Need to take the countertop off...

I'm getting my countertop replaced (currently standard ugly laminate) with corian. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to take the countertop off without damaging the cabinets? Bad thing is that it is glued down. The only place that I can see the nails are in the dishwasher... rest seems like they are glued down. I don't really care about keeping the current countertop in tact... I just want to save the cabinet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-21-05, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Corianchick,

Welcome to the forums.

Your countertop shouldn't be glued down at all. Open one of the base cabinets, under the countertop, and look at the top of the cabinet. Normally the countertop is screwed to the cabinet with screws that go through the top of the cabinet, into the substrate of the top. Those screws out should be the only thing that fastens the top to the cabinet.

Your backsplash may be glued, but if it's a preformed countertop, chances are it's just got caulk between it and the wall, with no adhesive.

Old 03-21-05, 10:44 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
There are some chances that the people who installed the tops did use adhesive/silicone to hold the tops in place.

Make sure you cut all visable caulk lines along the top of the splash, sides and sometimes they caulk it to the side of the cabinet from under the top. At that point, cut all caulk joints, locate all screws you can see then take a pry bar and start prying the top up.

Old 03-29-05, 09:35 AM
Bobnup
Visiting Guest
How about cabinets that rest on the countertop?

Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
There are some chances that the people who installed the tops did use adhesive/silicone to hold the tops in place.

Make sure you cut all visable caulk lines along the top of the splash, sides and sometimes they caulk it to the side of the cabinet from under the top. At that point, cut all caulk joints, locate all screws you can see then take a pry bar and start prying the top up.
I have upper cabinets 12" deep- the ends of each section rest on the 22" deepcountertop- i can't see any screws from the bottom--do i just cut the caulk and then try to slide the countertop off? i am reinstalling granite--i hope!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: