sweating bathroom walls

Old 04-18-05, 12:58 PM
herzog
Visiting Guest
sweating bathroom walls

I have a 2nd floor bathroom with walls that "sweat" oily, yellowish streaks starting from the top of the walls. This occurs regardless of season and on exterior as well as interior walls. There is a vent that seems to draw steam after a hot shower (it vents directly thru the attic & roof). The attic is unfinished but insulated.

The existing paint was latex, I believe, but don't know what was beneath it. I've painted the room twice in the past 3-4 yrs. First time I used a cheap latex primer then a sherwin williams paint with mildew resistant additive. Began noticing the sweat problem after a couple months. After a while I decided to repaint - allowed the room to dry, used heavy-duty primer (zinsser, i think), then sherwin williams paint without additive. Sweat problem came back after a couple months.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 04-18-05, 01:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
herzog,

It seems that you have an inadequate sized exhaust fan for this bathroom. Increase the size as the steam bath will create more humidity that cannot be evacuated from this room. Once this is improved, what you did before, just do it all over again.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-18-05, 09:03 PM
herzog
Visiting Guest
Doug,
Thanks for the advice. I'll follow your suggestions and repost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: