Soffit venting

Old 04-29-05, 12:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Soffit venting

What are the drawbacks to venting your bathroom out the soffit? I've read where it's not allowed by code in some places. I live in Wisconsin and was wondering if anyone knows if it's ok to do here. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-29-05, 01:44 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
I'm sure it not to code venting in the soffit.
check your local inspector on this

cheers

pg

Old 04-29-05, 01:53 AM
sorensenj,

Venting is allowed through side walls or through the roof or soffit. Whatever you do it must be vented to the EXTERIOR.

When possible, venting the fan through the nearest soffit is acceptable. This allows you to make the vent installation under the overhang of the roof, preventing the need for a roof vent.

The fan unit can be connected to the soffit vent using flexible plastic duct material with a soffit vent adapter. The duct material is easy to cut and it is expandable, which helps make fitting an easy task. Just clamp one end of the duct to the vent shroud on the fan housing and the other end to the vent. Installing the duct horizontally across the attic reduces the possibility of condensation trickling back down around the fan. Insulating the duct with insulation wrap also reduces the formation of condensation within it.

In other words, you cannot just let an exhaust duct lay within the soffit itself. You can call your local inspector to confirm this.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-04-05, 04:48 AM
Thanks Guys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: