Cutting Granite Counter to replace cook top?

Old 06-07-05, 07:36 AM
Septer
Visiting Guest
Cutting Granite Counter to replace cook top?

I am replacing a 30" Jenn-Air Stove top with a Frigidaire Stove top (also 30").
The new stove top's base is wider than the cut-out that is in my granite counter (apparently the (PREVIOUS OWNER) I bought my house from had it cut to precisely fit the Jenn-Air cook top.
So, to make a long story short, how would I go about widening the opening in my counter? Should I call a professional? Go to Home Depot and rent tools (what tools are needed)?

I prefer to keep the cook top.

Thanks,
Mike

PLEASE NOTE:

Derogative and or negative remarks, comments, opinions, claims and or statements made, in reference to and or pertaining to any products, parts and/or services rendered by manufacturers, companies, dealers, agents, sponsors, advertisers, service personal and/or representatives of such will not be tolerated nor allowed.

Members should demonstrate progressive ideals by avoiding vocabulary considered offensive, discriminatory, argumentative, disruptive and/or judgmental. Do-It-Yourself will not tolerate subordination of any individual, group or culture. Disruption to the flow of discussion and/or posting off-topic comments and or duplication of posts is prohibited.

Doug Aleshire
Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 06-07-05 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Forum Posting Violation - Vocabulary
Old 06-07-05, 10:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mike,

It would be best to have a professional come in and do the alterations. This way you won't be disappointed in any mistakes that you might encounter yourself. There is a point when saving money could be a major mistake, this is one of them, IMHO.

Make some calls

Old 06-07-05, 12:57 PM
Septer
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply Doug

I apologize to the mods for my comment calling the previous owner of my home a j*****s. (God, I hope the person I bought my home from isn't a moderator)
My mention of the products were done merely for referencing my situation. I love both of the manufacturer of the appliances I own.
I agree with the policy of not using negative vocabulary and will not do it again in the future.

I have made several calls to Granite Counter installers/retailers. The two I have spoken to said they don't cut already installed granite counters, but were going to give me a call back to someone that they contract work out to. I was warned there is a good chance that the counter top could break in the process.
I need to get the opening from a 19"X26.5" widened to 20.5"X29"

Old 06-07-05, 03:11 PM
Mike,

Apology accepted.

What they say is a possibility but a good installer may be able to do it without a problem.

Good Luck!

Old 06-08-05, 11:26 AM
J
Granite is hard and brittle. However it cuts fairly easily with a wet diamond saw. This is not a project for a DIY'er but a good installer shouldn't have a problem with it. The main thing is that it will be messy and wet. Protecting adjacent materials from moisture damage will be the biggest concern.

Old 04-03-06, 07:37 AM
C
Enlarging hole for cooktop in granite counter

I have had this done -- hired a professional -- it cost me about $200 and took less than an hour. No problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: