Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Goop on acrylic or fiberglass shower walls after removing caulk

Old 06-09-05, 05:59 PM
nancyhild
Visiting Guest

I used a caulk remover to remove caulk from what I thought was a fiberglass shower, but now I'm thinking it must be some kind of plastic. It looks like there was more than one type of caulk used, and one type left residue that turned into a marshmallow cream consistency, and when I tried to scrape it off the walls with a plastic credit card, I just put gouges in the shower wall, as though the stuff had bonded. Now that the sticky goop has dried, I'm wondering if I could just use a rotary tool to sand it off and then put some kind of refinish on the walls. has anyone encountered this before? Any suggestions? Anybody know a refinishing product?

Last edited by nancyhild; 06-09-05 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-12-05, 07:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
nancyhild,

Seems like you may have used a product that had acetone in it and that doesn't work well on plastic. It actually will melt it and creates a worse mess than you started with. If the damage is severe, replace the surround with a better quality product. There is no refinishing that can be done with this and using a rotary tool seems like a big gamble.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: