Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

How to remove ceramic tile from concrete backing

Old 06-15-05, 08:54 AM
DoctorSTi
Visiting Guest

I just purchased a new home and wanted to tear out the tile from the bathroom and drywall it up. I also wanted to get a new tub and surround to get rid of the grout cleaning duties. My problem is that when I pulled off the first tile with the crow bar it brought with it concrete exposing wire mesh with more concrete below it. The house was built in 1951 on Pennsylvania if that helps. I assume it's somethign like Wonderboard? What is required to prep this type of wall for drywall? Oh and I am new to the board and found searching came up with too many results to read through.

Old 06-15-05, 05:50 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I suggest you install new drywall over the entire thing. First, remove the old drywall sections and then look for wires or other utilites running through the wall. Then use a wonder bar and a hammer to knock off sections of tile along each stud. Then using a sawzall with a carbide blade, cut along one side of each stud and you will be able to wrangle sections of the cement wall off the studs. Very dusty mess. Gloves, eye protection, respirator, and hearing protection is a good idea too. You will use lots of heavy duty contractor trash bags.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: