Appliance color

Old 06-22-05, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Appliance color

We just moved into a 25 year-old home. It has a brand new Maytag dishwasher.

We have decided to redecorate since we are going to buy other appliances. We want to go with black.

What are my choices on changing the color of my dishwasher outside of selling it and buying a new one? Have it painted? Buy a replacement front panel (are they available?)? Something creative?

It is not absolutely necessary to match the texture of the other appliances.

Dick

Old 06-23-05, 07:10 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
some dishwashers have replacement panels, it depends on the manufacturer and the model. You can probably search on line.

I was in virtually the same situation when we re-did our kitchen--and since it was almost brand spankin' new I didn't want to spend the money on a new one. My dishwasher mfg. didn't have a panel for the dishwasher I got, so I painted it using several products (not appliance epoxy) designed for faux finishing, and glued a door panel to the front. It matches the cabinets exactly, and I was able to paint the knobs and controls to match. Its been 3 months, and there is not a scratch or bubble in the paint--however, only time will tell. I figure if the paint fails, I can then buy a new one and that pill will be easier to swallow than buying it at the same time as the range and refrigerator.

Old 06-24-05, 05:32 AM
J
You may alraady have 1. see what is on the other side of you existing on or if there is another one behind it. If there is nothing paint the one you have with the appliance epoxy. That's what it is for.

If you can try to get a spray can with a fan spray tip one brand would be Duplicolor. They have a nice tip that makes it easy to get an even finish.

Make sure the surface is extremely clean and dulling it with a scotch brite pad can't hurt I find it difficult to get a decent finish from the typical cone shaped pattern that regular tips produce. Just my opinion though.

Old 07-08-05, 05:39 AM
T
What about the plastic parts, like the handle assembly? Mine Does in fact havve a whole stack of panels behind the visible panel, in a rainbow for colors

Old 07-08-05, 05:57 AM
J
Get some paint. Or go to a automotive store where they know what they aret alking about and see what they say. You want something in a spray can. Likethis. scroll down to plastic.Clean it good--then clean it again.

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...&content=level

Why is it that some forums the links don't work[you have to copy and paste]. It should be consistent meaning clickable. It is a hassle this way.

Old 07-28-05, 08:49 AM
Cavediver
Visiting Guest
If your dishwasher has a removable panel, you may be able to find a piece of countertop laminate that will look good. Laminates have all kinds of textures and colors available. Cut the piece large enough to fit the opening and be held in by the trim, but small enough to allow some expansion from the heat of the dishwasher.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: