step up to tub - wall or floor tile?

Old 06-23-05, 05:23 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
step up to tub - wall or floor tile?

We have a very challenging situation which called for our whirlpool tub to be installed in an "alcove" whereby there is no access to it from either side....only from one end.
To make matters worse, it is up on a platform that requires at least 1 step-up for ease of entrance. We are preparing for tile, but the floor tile has been finished.
The step-up will have a brass handrail for assistance....however, the question is this:
Should the step be tiled with the field/wall tile or should we use the tile that was used on the floor ?
The floor tile is a textured, porcelain slate that is not slippery. However, the wall tile has a gloss finish.
One option, although I don't know how this would look:
use the floor tile for the step surface, but use wall tile for the kickboard and the rest of the step exterior.
Any ideas greatly appreciated !

Old 06-24-05, 01:46 PM
M
Anybody ?

Can anybody help with this one ?
This was formerly posted in the bathroom renovation forum.

Old 06-24-05, 03:57 PM
T
Yes, use the floor tile on the top of the steps and what you said or use the floor tile as well on the facing.

The steps have backerboard over them I hope and all decking around tub that's seeing tile should also, as well as a waterproofing membrane.

Old 06-26-05, 08:59 AM
M
Moderator - can you move this back ?

Thanks.....I appreciate your response, but this post was really meant for bathroom designers.... but the moderator moved it from the Bathromm renovation forum. (Hello moderator !)

The floor tile may be functional, but not sure if it would LOOK GOOD in the midst of all of the wall/field tile...that's all.

Old 06-26-05, 11:36 AM
Yeah, but it will look better than the wall tile after its cracked from being stepped on. Unless your wall tile is rated for use on a floor it does not have the strength to support weight and will crack over time when stepped on, that plus it being highly glossed and your wet feet are a dangerous combination. Looks are one thing if you will never use the tub, but safety and functionality should never take a back seat, especially when there are so many choices of tile that can be used.

Old 06-27-05, 06:08 PM
M
OK, which rating number must it have ?

3, 4, 5 ?
I dunno, I'd really be surprised if it cracked....I've got excellent 2x4 support, followed by 3/4" plywood, then 1/2 rockboard....
it's almost "bomb-proof".

Old 06-28-05, 10:16 AM
it's a step, so i'd treat it like the floor. i would do the whole step, riser and tread, with the floor tile. sort of like how some of those are carpeted - but yours will be in the floor tile. then save all the wall tile for walls & horizontal tub surround surfaces.

Last edited by Annette; 06-28-05 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-28-05, 07:05 PM
M
Thanks Annette !

Excellent suggestion.....definitely better than a mixed tile design with riser as field tile and tread as floor tile.

Actually, from a Feng Shwei standpoint, it'll look great as the field tile is already too dominant since the floor is small in comparison to the walls and the entire whirlpool platform and surrounds. More floor = more balance.

Terrific stuff...thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: