slate counter top

Old 06-28-05, 12:10 AM
Hendley
Visiting Guest
slate counter top

I am using a piece of slate I found in the house, cut as a countertop apparantly, a beautiful slice of rock just the right size. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with slate as a countertop. Should it be sealed? Is it porous? How does it compare to granite or sandstone or marble?

Any info would help, though I am going to use it no matter what at this point, too nice not too (and free!)

Pete

Old 06-28-05, 12:19 AM
Hendley
Visiting Guest
Also, regarding this slate countertop - will normal stock type cabinests support that weight or should I do something to add extra support? It is 1" thick and 26" W x 68" L.
Thanks
Pete

Old 06-28-05, 12:39 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I bet that is one beautiful hunk of rock! And I bet it is a bit on the heavy side, though a good quality well built cabinet should support it. Picture it as if it were a pool table, as that is what they are made of.

By all means seal it as you would a granite or marble countertop. Is it finished and polished? Or is it somewhat rough? When I built my house in 1993 with marble countertops I was surprised by the advice given to me by the installer: Wax once a year with a high quality automotive carnauba wax. I followed the advice, and the counters have been looking great for 12 years.

Old 06-28-05, 05:57 PM
Hendley
Visiting Guest
Wally,
It is beautiful. To be honest I would have used it no matter what anyone said. I am arranging the kitchen around it frankly, and using slate tile to fill in where the counter isn't big enough.

The previous owner had it as a top to some cabinets in an entranceway - too strange to try and explain - They had it painted white and I didn't realize it was stone until I took the whole setup apart. The painted top is very very smooth so it seemed like wood at first glance. I haven't taken that paint off yet, so I still haven't seen it truly cleaned up. The edges are a bit rough, though I think they will look fine that way. It is very heavy and I almost dropped it through the wood floor when I lowered it to the floor. Though it is not THAT heavy, so it feels like regular cabinet might hold it, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for the advice for the car wax.

Old 06-29-05, 08:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am curious, do you intend on removing the paint? I certainly would. The rough edges will just be such a beautiful enhancement to a naturally colored slate counter. I'm interested in knowing how it turns out if you do remove the paint. Anyone out there have any ideas?

I'd be inclined to use a good methylyne chloride paint stripper (careful, it's nasty stuff, but it works.) But I'm concerned about the porosity and you may end up with a stripped slate countertop that still has paint beneath the surface. This may look horrible, but then again, it may look really cool with an "antiqued" look.

Don't know, as I've never tried this, but let me know what you end up doing and how it looks!

Old 06-30-05, 12:21 AM
Hendley
Visiting Guest
Actually, I haven't gotten that far yet. It is still leaning against the dining room wall. Thanks for the advice though, I'll check into that stripper
Pete

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: