Cabinet enlightnment needed.

Old 06-29-05, 10:27 AM
SOUL SAUCE
Visiting Guest
Cabinet enlightnment needed.

i am looking to redo my kitchen. It's very small. (i live in an apt) I am looking for somthing simple, sturdy, affordable and reliable.
I have read some of these posts and have heard that IKEA cabinets are cool. Im looking into getting a quote from Home Depot, Ikea, Sears and Expo.

any guidance on these stores, opinions will greatly help.

thanks

Old 06-29-05, 07:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
SOUL SAUCE,

The issue is what do you like, what can you afford to pay and if this is an apartment, why are you providing improvements for the owner?!

It is best to look at the cabinets, touch them and look into your wallet. All the stores you mentioned are good but do your shopping and compare price and quality as you will obviously pick the one that you like. The rest is economics.

Good Luck!

Old 06-30-05, 05:10 AM
N
check out recycled cabinets, too. Sounds funny maybe, but a lot of people replace perfectly good cabinets because they want a different style and you could benefit from that. Friends of ours put in new cabinets at a fraction of the cost. Check out local ads, internet ads, see if there's a kitchen recycling place near you.

Old 06-30-05, 02:30 PM
SOUL SAUCE
Visiting Guest
i forgot to mention im the owner of the apt/condo. i will be moving into.

i like simple designs but want something that wont fall apart. Im on a tight budget and wondered if people can give me an opinion. Im new to the whole 'home remodeling' thang. ya see?

Thanks for responding.

Old 06-30-05, 05:12 PM
SOUL SAUCE,

Sorry, I'll retract my assumption. When you're the owner - anything goes!

I'm sure others can provide personal input to your question.

Good Luck!

Old 07-01-05, 01:01 PM
T
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't know anything about Ikea's kitchen cabinets, but if they are anything like most Ikea furniture (assemble-it-yourself particle board) then I wouldn't install them in anything I myself had to live in. IMO, that stuff is fine for bookshelves and the like, but not for built-ins. And it's not just Ikea - some brands available from Home Depot/Lowes aren't much better.

But of course budget will be a consideration, good cabinets aren't cheap. Maybe factor in how long you'll have to live with them versus how much you want to spend on them. Cheap cabinets that delaminate after two years of steamy spaghetti pots really aren't that cheap when you factor in the replacement cost.

Old 07-13-05, 04:02 PM
SOUL SAUCE
Visiting Guest
thanks for your input. Im going with Home Depot. I was looking at the mills pride instock cabinets but was urged to step up the quality, so they will be over to take measurements and suggest cabinets. I found it pretty helpful because they will be taking the measurements (and responsibility) and i have a friend who can install them.
Hopefully it will work out.

Old 07-20-05, 04:43 PM
R
I'm redoing my kitchen in an apartment too.

I agree it's all in what you like.

You might not like these, but I wanted decent enough quality to put up with my kids till I move. And I didn't want particle board. But alas, I cannot afford a lot.

There is a website that sells Sunco Cabinets at www.usbuildingproducts.com
I've seen these cabinets in person and I really like them. Of course they're not as fancy and nice as the higher priced cabinets, but nicer than mills pride for just a little more money, if not the same cost ( I thought mills pride was REALLY cheap until I discovered the cabinet price didn't include the doors!) The "randolph" is the cheapest of the line and it's made of plywood-type wood, not particle board.

Just a suggestion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: