Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Best way to re-surface Corian countertops? (Corian Repairs)

Old 07-03-05, 11:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I've got Corian in my new home's kitchen, and some areas are scratched.

There is no serious damage to the surface, but mostly light scratches from use as the house & countertops are almost 10 years old.

There are a few deeper scratches, but again, nothing too severe. No chips or gouges.

What is the best way to return the coutertop to near-new condition? Do I sand, then wet sand? Can I use a power sander (random orbit)?

If sanding is the way to go, will wet sanding down to very fine grits bring the gloss back when I'm done? What about automotive compound and/or wax?

My parents are coming for a visit in about a month, and the wife is pushing me to get this done before they show up

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-03-05, 02:16 PM
hihoslva,

http://www.corian.com/corian/a/en/h/Care/index.html

If this area is too big and beyond your capabilities, seek professional help.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-24-05, 05:57 PM
C
resurfacing Corian counterrtops.

Yes you can use a random orbit sander on your top. I hope it has dust collection capabilities. I would start by washing the top thouroughly to get it clean, then use a Sharpie pen to highlight the scratches. Just run the pen along the scratches you see to let the ink flow to the bottom of the grooves. Start with 100 to 150 grit sandpaper to remove the scratches using left to right overlapping strokes moving at aboit 1" per second, then repeat using front to back overlapping strokes. You're done with this step when the ink no longer shows in the grooves. It takes longer than you may think. Then repeat the entire process using 220 grit paper. You can move along faster with this step, as you are only removing the 100 grit sanding marks. Next use a red Scotch-Bright pad to bring up a low sheen. You can make sanding pads by cutting the pad into a 5" or 6" circle to match your sander, then use spray contact cement on the pad and a sanding disc and pressing them together. If you want more gloss go on to a gray Scotch-Bright and repear. If your sander isn't up to it, hire a fabricator to do it. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: