Granite tile countertop overhang help.

Old 07-14-05, 09:22 AM
cam477
Visiting Guest
Question Granite tile countertop overhang help.

I am building a peninsula breakfast bar with a granite tile counter top. Counter top is 32" x 80" sitting on a 18" by 74" cabinet base. Overhangs are 2" on one long side and 12" opposite. End overhang is 6".

I estimated a need for one 3"-wide floor support at the center of the 6" overhang, with the 12" overhang supported by the wall on one end, an 8"-wide floor support set 6" back from the far end (74" from wall) and one 8"-wide floor support at the center. I intended to use 3/4" ply with 1/2" backer board set in thinset. (Do you recommend wonderboard or waterproof backer board?) Should I build up to two 3/4" ply plus 1/4" backer? Will the supports be sufficient or do I need additional floor supports or knee braces? For aesthetics, could I eliminate the support under the 6" overhang?

I like the look of the granite without grout lines. What are the problems/advantages to this method vs. 1/16" grout lines? Also, if grouting, do you grout between the granite and say a wood edge? Do you always grout between the counter and the (granite) backsplash? Do you recommend the high gloss sealer?

Thanks for any of your recommendations and advice.

CAM

Old 07-15-05, 12:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Definitely go with the two layers of 3/4" BCX grade ply, then the 1/4" cement board. Make sure to put a paint on waterproof membrane on the top layer of ply around the sink area, on any exposed edges of the ply including the cutout in the sink. This will protect the ply from delaminating if it repeatedly gets mositure. Put the cement board in a bed of thinset to fill up air pockets and voids then anchor it with galvanized roofing nails. Screw in the cement board on the face of the counter if that is getting tiled.
Any transition from wood to tile should be caulked not grouted. Most grout makers also have caulks in corresponding colors. Use a 1/16" grout line, butting the tile will not prevent bacteria and other nasty things from getting down into the crevice, not good anywhere, even worse in a food prep area.
Caulk the joint at the backsplash also, that joint should be 1/8".
I'm not much help on the supports other than I know you will need them. Dont know if brackets will work or if legs would be better. Here is a sight for some fancy brackets http://www.rachiele.com I imagine they are expensive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: