bathroom unit won't fit in

Old 07-14-05, 11:55 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
bathroom unit won't fit in

I am installing a new shower base with shower walls (replacing old base that had tile over the walls) Unfortunately distance between the studs does not allow to install even a ¼ hardibacker on both sides of the opening, I can install a ½ on the back wall though.
So out of 3 walls only two will have backing behind it. Which wall is the best to leave un’backed the one with the shower fixtures or the opposite wall. And should I finish that wall with at least 30 lbs felt, just to seal off possible moisture, not sure if I am going to be able to fit that in either ….

Old 07-15-05, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Newbie,

If you are installing a pre-manufactured fiberglass or acrylic unit, you need no backer as these are made to be installed directly to the studs. See the installation instructions.

If you are installing a lower priced surround wall system, they will need a backer - all walls - No way around this.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-16-05, 07:43 PM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
thanks !

Thanks a lot Doug!

that’s the thing about the unit I bought...... It's Sterling 6204 series. In the instructions they say “ it can be installed directly to the framing studs or installed over wallboard or other water-resistant material. If I don’t use a backerboard it leaves me with ~ 3/8 to ½ gap, in some places (unfortunately not all around), I doubt it is better to use the shims to make up for that gap rather then a sheet of hardibacker…. ?
Another question I have is about the bottom piece. Again in the instruction it says to place it directly on the plywood floor or if using a mortar bed a piece of spunbounded landscape fabric. Since my subfloor is really flimsy I was going to add a ¼ hardibacked (by the way I called Sterling and they say it’s ok, but theyt say it’s ok either way…) to it and use that landscape fabric. Is this the way to go or just use a ¼ plywoor on top of existing floor? Thanks for all your help!

Old 07-16-05, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Newbie,

1. Use M/R drywall if necessary - something inexpensive. When you get to finishing this, it might be better using M/R.

2. Flimsy subfloor can mean different things.

Adding 1/4" hardibacker to something bad is not a good idea. I would either reinforce what you have, meaning taking the existing subfloor out and beefing up the joists and adding 3/4" Plywood.

Then lay poly down then add mortar and set unit on it.

You're welcome and hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: