Bathroom Remodel

Old 07-15-05, 04:27 PM
danielle&scott
Visiting Guest
Bathroom Remodel

My wife and I are buying a home with one bathroom that looks as if it hasnt been redone since the early 80's. The walls are painted sheet rock and we arent sure if they are water proof or not. We are looking for ideas as to what we should do to cover the walls up, and to do something with the ugly bath tub that is in the bathroom now. We arent sure what the price range would be to buy everything ourselves and do the work ourselves too. We have seen bath fitter and have heard that they are crazy expensive, I also heard of reglazing the tub but im not sure if we would want to do that.

We really dont want to spend over $4000 for the tile on the walls, the floor, the vanity, sink, toilet, medicine cabinet with mirror and tub. What do you recommend us doing for that low of a budget?

This is the bathroom...Sorry I dont have a picture of the shower.

Thanks
http://links.mlslirealtor.com/mlspho.../1720146_6.jpg

Old 07-16-05, 03:26 PM
brianajt
Visiting Guest
help

Hi there,
this bathroom is scary! Not to worry I've seen worse. First I see that it is small. I recommend a cool (blues, greens,yellow) color scheme, in darker color. This will really help create a bigger feeling space. Get rid off the medium oak vanity/ light/mirror. That look is dated. You can find very reasonable priced combos at home depot, lowes. 199$ and up. As for a style I would recommend looking through bath magazines or perhaps on hgtv under designers portfolio for ideas. It has to be based on what you like on as a style, so I cannot tell you what is right. A whole new tub is a little as $ 125, going up from there. I would not do a bath fitter, they look cheasy and are overpriced. Using smaller tiles in flooring and on the wall will also make the space feel bigger. Anyway, for 4000$ you could put a stylish bathroom in, so go for it.

Old 07-16-05, 03:58 PM
danielle&scott
Visiting Guest
What do you think of reglazing a bath tub?

Old 07-16-05, 04:12 PM
brianajt
Visiting Guest
If you are stuck with the tub, and it is bigger than the door, it can be done. how well it adheres to the surface depends on the material the tub is made of. It could be acrylic, fiberglass, americast, cast iron proclein enameled and so on. You may be dissapointed if it starts to wear thin after a year or so and needs done again. PRIMER is a must, if you don't use it it will all chip off. I would use an enamel. Don't have a pro reglaze it, it will be very exspensive and you could buy a new tub for less. I only recommend professional reglazing of cast iron porclein claw foot tubs. hope that helps

Old 07-17-05, 09:03 AM
danielle&scott
Visiting Guest
Is it hard to take out the old tub and install the new tub? Last night we went to Lowes and got a few prices on tubs and vanities and toilets and stuff....
We found a nice deep tub for under $190.00, and they also had a molded piece like the bath fitter that went around the walls of the tub, looked like tile and had spaces for soap and shampoo bottles. We dont want to spend crazy money on this bathroom, because in the futre we plan to expand the house. We just want to make the bathroom functional and attractive at the same time. We also dont have a lot of money to spend on the bathroom.

If we decide to buy the tub, and then just tile the area around the tub, do you think that will be less expensive than what I discussed in the abnove paragraph? We found a nice Vanity for under $200 with plenty of storage space, and a sink top for under $150. We also found a toiled for under $150 that was american standard. Is there certain brands of the toilet bowl and the sink that I should look for?
Thanks,
Scott

Old 07-17-05, 09:40 AM
brianajt
Visiting Guest
bathtub

Tiling will probably be about the same as plastic molded surround. It will take longer to tile but the asthetic results will be sooo much better. I definetly recommend you tile ( seal the grout once a year, and it will always look pretty and wont turn black) . The plastic surrounds can be hard to work with and break easily during installation, plus they can look cheasy. Taking a tub out isn't very hard, the hard part is getting it out of the bathroom. Measure your door and make sure it will fit out. Sometimes when the house is built they put the tub in then build the wall and put in the door. You can cut it up to get it out, but you still have to figure out how to get a new one in. If you have an access panel I recommend you open it and see how the tub is in there, It can give you a lot of insight as to how to take it out. As for toliets I recommend the american standard champion line. They flush on a 45 instead of a 90, up to 30 golf balls will flush. we have one is our master bath and my husband considers it "his" toliet. I hope all that info helps..

Old 07-17-05, 09:42 AM
brianajt
Visiting Guest
sink

sorry I forgot about the sink. As for a sink i recommend a kohler or american standard sink with a moen or kohler faucet. They are quality and hold up well. Make sure your vanity is solid wood ( furniture grade plywood) , not vaneer, laminate ,particle board they are junk and you will have to replace them in a few years

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: