Ceiling Light placement over whirlpool tub

Old 08-02-05, 07:13 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Light placement over whirlpool tub

Note: moderator...this is a DESIGN issue, not a lighting issue.

All designers, please give your ideas ASAP....
I am about to install a suspended ceiling and now must move some lights due to my poor planning.
See below.
http://www.javazon.com/test/Bathroom...tion-lites.gif
The two lights (60 watt, hi-hats) are now shown side-by-side at the HEAD side of the whirlpool tub. This was done for purpose of reading. However, the placement was right on the GRID supports, so I must now move the lites either closer to the wall or closer to the center of the tub.
Given the reflection issue of the mirror and the arch window, where and how should I place these two lites.
Design goals from the get-go were romantic mood, but acknowledge the need for reading lites. These two lites are on a dimmer. My wife picked-out the candleabra which actually uses real candles, not electric ones.
I am concerned with any GLARE from all of the glass and want to minimize that as much as possible.
Should I place one light over the HEAD of the tub and one in the MIDDLE of the tub I wonder or will the middle one cause the glare ?
Keep in mind, the ceiling is fairly low.....and the tub is up on a platform, the top of which is only 55" from the ceiling. (There is a step-up to enter the tub).
Oh, and one other thing, there is going to be a warm irridescent faux paint job on the surrounding walls which I want to be sure to accent as much as possible.
Ideas please !! TIA.

Old 08-02-05, 08:04 PM
marksimms,

I would place them with one light over the HEAD of the tub and one in the MIDDLE of the tub as you suggested.

The questions I have are when you say 60 watt hi-hats - what brand of fixture did you get and what did you get has a trim rim/baffle? Plascement is not the concern as the type of fixture used is.

Black baffle would eliminate any problems of glare as the bulb is recessed up inside. Options are to get a drop opal trim.

Regardless, a unit that has the bulb inside will not create glare as you fear AS LONG as the baffle is not polished chrome or white. The idea is to "muffle" the dispersion of light to the sides yet be soft in appearance.

With only 55 inches, the overall dispersion of the light will be extremely limited.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-03-05, 08:27 AM
M
Thanks Doug

These are cheapie Halo fixtures that actually didn't have a baffle.....at least I could not find one. Instead I got simple white trim rings that do not extend into the fixture at all....as I was going to place the bulb right to the edge of the trim ring.
I've been paranoid placing bulbs inside of hi-hat fixtures as I have several in my office that do nothing but blink on and off driving me crazy !! The thermal switch is more likely to be tripped based on recessed placement of the bulb...that's what the electrical guys told me anyway.

Old 08-03-05, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,973 Upvotes on 1,770 Posts
Hiya Doug! Hello to you too, Mark. I was just wondering, are these the small type of lights that are connected with flexible conduit and can just be set on top of the acoustic tile?

Old 08-04-05, 05:32 AM
Xsleeper,

Good morning to yah!

He probably has these,

http://www.elights.com/halreclig.html

Old 08-04-05, 05:42 AM
M
http://www.elights.com/fitallhousings.html
This is the one: Halo H7T Non IC 7" Housing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: