Ongoing mildew on bathtub caulk

Old 08-08-05, 12:56 AM
HeyHonee
Visiting Guest
Ongoing mildew on bathtub caulk

Is there ANYTHING we can do to solve this problem? It started becoming mildewed a few years after we purchased the home and we have tried replacing it at least two times and each time the mildew comes back. Is there a special caulk or grout or something that we can use to eliminate this? I know that it can't be healthy for my young children to take baths with this mildew on the caulk around the top of the tub and it is becoming very unsightly. Thanks.

Old 08-08-05, 07:18 AM
PhilC
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

First step is to identify why the mildew in the first place.
Does water drain properply from the edges or does it tend to sit stagnate?
Do you have a properly vented bathroom fan adequately sized for the room?
Is the intake cleaned and not clogged with dust, and is it properly vented, unblocked to the exterior?

I'll assume this is a regularly used bathroom, which would equal constant moisture. Simple things like keeping that toilet seat closed cuts down on evaporation more than you might think. The more used the bathroom, the larger more efficient vent fan you may need.

You mention grout, is this a tiled bath enclosure then? Has it been sealed and maintained regulary with reapplication of grout sealer.

When you removed the caulking, did you allow sufficient time for the area to completely dry and clean the base area where the caulking was? If we can narrow down the cause of the excessive moisture, we can better answer the question.

Depending on the bathj style you can add a special curved trim that will allow water to be directed away from the seams. Hopefully you have an adequate moisture barrier and properly backed base for your tile.

Even the slightest gaps will alow water to wick it's way up into and behind the caulk and lower tiles, where it will nearly always remain wet. The type of caulk must be designed for bath use and the surface areas must be cleaned and prepped (alchohol is one way) to allow for a firm clean surface for the caulk to adhere too.

If this isn't done properly with adequate time for the needed steps due to the family's need of the bathroom use, then you'll be right back to the begining.

Cheaper caulk will shrink, and a still moist surface will not allow proper bonding. Depending on the gap and the problem areas, remember not to attempt to fill large seams with one pass. Pass one should be a flush forced application allowed to cure, before making a second angled pass.

Keep a cup of cold water on hand and use a Good High grade silicone Bathroom caulk. The cold water will allow you to "work the caulking" without your fingers becoming caulk velcro .

Give us some more details and I for one will attempt to confuse you as much as possible , Just kidding, more info will lead to much better and more specific advice from the well knowledged members in these forums and you will find the possible solutions much quicker with just a few more keystrokes of info for readers to go by.

Take me for instance, I type novels , so don't be afraid to provide as much detail as you can. Something that may seem irrelevant to you may be the "Eureka" another member might key onto to.

Check in on you later.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: