Urine Smell In Bathroom Vanities--Help!!

Old 08-08-05, 09:55 AM
sparklz62
Visiting Guest
Urine Smell In Bathroom Vanities--Help!!

Hi Everyone!

I just moved into a new home and, when I went to put away shampoos, etc., in my bathroom vanities, a terrible urine (pet? Human?) smell comes out from them. It is very, very strong--to the point where I almost got sick. Weird part is, the insides of the vanities look brand new!!! My husband caulked around the pipe and any other openings but to no avail...Still smells HORRIBLE!!! So bad that I can now smell it when the vanity doors are closed.

The two bathrooms share a common wall--one vanity is located on either side of the wall.

I've tried various odor removers/sanitizers but this seems to be coming from behind or underneath the vanities.

I know that the previous owner had pets and let them kind of "rule the roost". The house had been vacant since December '04 with the exception of contractors who came in and re-did the house.

What exactly needs to be done--do we need to rip the cabinets out and look at the floor/subfloor/drywall? I know we need to do something soon because the smell is just horrible!!!

Thank you!!!!!

Old 08-08-05, 01:13 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
Put a dish of an enzyme digestive cleaner like Odoban in there and let it sit for a couple of days. If that doesn't solve the problem, you will need to figure out where the smell is originating. Best bet is to get a blacklight, which will show you where all of the urine stains are and allow you to start cleaning them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: