Cutting marble tile??

Old 08-10-05, 11:10 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cutting marble tile??

I have a wet saw for most of my cutting. I don't know how to cut out for electrical outlets and switches in the back splash. Moving the boxes is really not an option. Where the boxes will be in the center of a 12 inch tile I would hate to have to cut it in half and have the seam/crack show. I read about using a carbid blade on a jigsaw and about using a tile hole cutter on a drill. Would either of these work? Any better ideas?

Old 08-10-05, 06:19 PM
You can do the cut on some wet saws. What kind do you have, is the blade stationary overhead?

Old 08-10-05, 07:03 PM
O
Originally Posted by Tileguybob
You can do the cut on some wet saws. What kind do you have, is the blade stationary overhead?
It is staionary with the blade under like a table saw. If I rented one with an overhead blade I assume it would lower like a power miter saw. I can see how you could cut most of the way through but how would you finish the cuts?

Old 08-11-05, 05:39 PM
I mark the size of the opening I want on the back of the tile, then do a plunge cut where I raise the tile up to the blade and cut the pencil line on all four sides all the way through the tile. Dont press hard let the blade grind the material away without too much upward pressure or the tile may crack in your hand. After all four sides are cut then do an X cut from corner to corner this will essentially make the waste piece become 4 triangular pieces. After the cuts are made the waste pieces will still be joined to the tile at the corners. Flip the tile to right side up and place it on a sturdy surface then tap at the corners with something like the handle of a big screwdriver. You want to create cracks in those corners so the waste pieces break away without causing the whole tile to crack. It may take practice to feel the blade cutting through and how far to plunge the cut. The diamond tile blade wont cut you, it grinds, you can touch it while it spins, as long as its wet. Its when you get your finger wedged against something that it will slice it off.

Old 08-15-05, 04:19 PM
O
I found a way that is working well for me. I have a tile bit for my dremel tool. I am using the water line from the wet saw to keep it wet. It can be done without the water but you would need a bunch of bits. Only the side of the bit cuts so you start with the bit at anl angle to get a hole through.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: