Help! I made a mess of my cabinets!

Old 08-20-05, 07:05 AM
chris K.
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help! I made a mess of my cabinets!

We're trying to sell our house without spending way too much money. We have good quality kitchen cabinets built in the early '60's (looks like cherry-not sure if it actually is). In the process of trying to degrease some particularly bad areas, my husband actually "scrubbed" off the finish (poly?) and wood color. There were about 4 or 5 of these stripped areas, noticeably large. Now, we didn't want to restrip the entire set of cabinets. So I bought some Minwax stain and restained the areas. It wasn't a great match but it looked better. Last night we went over all the cabinets with one coat of polyurethane. Now it looks terrible. The stained areas which were already too dark, look even darker. The problem is that I was using stain like paint, applying it thick, because it wasn't soaking in and then letting it sit there instead of wiping it off. I know now that was totally wrong but now what do I do. There's already a coat of poly on it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-05, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cabinets

If I were you, I would strip the damn things down and start over. You've put too much crap on there to keep adding more stuff on, and successfully make them look good before you sell your home. It will be a lot of work to strip them, but it doesn't sound like you have much of a choice. I've sanded some floors in my home, and it is a lot of work, but it's worth it in the end. course if you're not going to live there, i'm not sure it would be worth it.

Old 08-21-05, 07:33 AM
chris K.
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks, I know you're right. I was just too lazy to start from scratch.

Old 08-21-05, 07:37 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
One option and one option only. Strip it!