tub surround question

Old 09-13-05, 06:11 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tub surround question

Hi, I am installing tub surround over top of ceramic tile in my shower. The problem is the ceramic tile ends fairly low and then its just the regular wall. The tile juts out maybe 1/8 in from the regular wall (the thickness of the tile). Should I just continue the tub surround overtop the transition from tile to wall (will it bend in and look funny) or should I end the surround where the tile ends, then restart it at the wall, and cover the small gap with some trim or sealer???? Hope this makes sense, thanks

pat

Old 09-13-05, 08:44 AM
Pat,

I am assuming a plastic surround here.

I would be tempted to scrape the tiles off the wall, but if there's drywall underneath the paper coating will get ripped badly. This can be repaired with Gardz primer from Zinsser, but if the paper gets ripped all the way through to the gypsum core, the strength of the wall may be jeopardized. Then the idea arises of removing the drywall and replacing it with new greenboard, which means going all the way to the ceiling or just past the ceramic tile edge area

Even if the old drywall survives without much surface damage, there is still the chance that the surface roughness will "telegraph" through the sheet plastic surround. Of course, the joints in the tile work could also telegraph through, so choose the heaviest plastic you can afford.

What you are wanting to do will look terrible and be a bear to make edges (waterproof).

Hope this helps!

Old 09-14-05, 07:19 PM
canuksinoz
Visiting Guest
I have a similar problem, with the tile coming up ~ 50cm up from the tub, but leaving bare wall under the shower head. I'm looking at installing ceramilite - some sort of bathroom wall panel. Can I do that? Can I just caulk/silicone to join the bottom of the panel to the top of the existing tile? They appear close in depth, leaving almost a smooth transition.
Any help?
I have no idea what the existing wall was made of...

Old 10-22-05, 12:49 PM
L
tub surround

I have a 37 year old mobile home that the tub surround is coming loose and want to replace it. Would you remove the old one first or try putting it up over the old one? If removal is suggestion what is a safe way to remove the old surround, so as not to tear the wall up?

Old 10-22-05, 02:31 PM
lovingpeace2,

If the old one is coming off the wall, it is never a good idea to install a new one over it.

Depending on how well the adesive worked, and if it is coming off now, its should be easy to remove.

Never expect not to replace any damaged wall covering. Trying to patch this would not be good as you need a good flat surface for the new one.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: