removing & reapplying silicon bath seal

Old 09-15-05, 11:26 PM
chad a
Visiting Guest
removing & reapplying silicon bath seal

I'm just after some tips regarding this topic.

We've just bought a place and the bathroom has recently been redone.
The silicon seal between the spa bath and the wall looks perfect until the bath is full of water and has 2 people in it. Then it sinks about half a cm, particularly at one end, at the silicon seal sticks to the wall only, leaving a tiny gap under the silicon seal.
I want to remove the current silicon then reapply some new, this time with the bath full of water so that its a better and tighter fit both when the bath has the weight in it and out of it.

Any tips here would be great as i'm not the most experienced handyman

Old 09-16-05, 06:35 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Razor blade - using care not to scratch the tub..

What you experience is very common... comes from not filling the tub prior to caulking that gap... You've got the right idea.... fill it - caulk - and leave it full for at least 24 hours while your caulking dries...

Old 09-16-05, 07:22 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I use the cheap plastic putty knives or even an auto body filler applicator. No scratches this way. I then clean the area with denatured alcohol. I also placed some concrete blocks on a towel in the tub since using just the water does not make up for the people weight that will be there later. Good luck.

Old 09-16-05, 08:25 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by majakdragon
I use the cheap plastic putty knives or even an auto body filler applicator. No scratches this way. I then clean the area with denatured alcohol. I also placed some concrete blocks on a towel in the tub since using just the water does not make up for the people weight that will be there later. Good luck.
Good idea with the blocks..... I forgot he likes to get clean "together"..

Old 09-16-05, 08:24 PM
Jazz4cash
Visiting Guest
more support for tub?

that sounds like a lot of movement between tub and wall so maybe you should consider reinforcing the floor with wood blocks or somethin?

Old 09-20-05, 12:08 AM
chad a
Visiting Guest
I appreciate the words of advice fellas, and the jokes on the side

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: