Overhang support with Silestone?

Old 09-24-05, 06:38 PM
jake&thefatman
Visiting Guest
Question Overhang support with Silestone?

I am building a 2 tier center island with Silestone tops. The top tier will be a 42" high bar stool area...it will be 18" deep sitting on a 6" 2 angled wall (150 deg + 120deg) with 1" hanging over the lower tier side, 6" on the wall, leaving a 11" overhang. (I would think the installers will use a plywood underlay). (I'm trying to see if the top can be cut from 1 piece instead seaming at the angles).

I've heard that you don't need any additional support (corbel, legs, etc) if the overhang is under 12". If that is true, that would be ideal since that would give the easiest access in & out with legs.

I could add some steel curved 1/2 moon type corbels. Not a lot of support, but some. I need all the sitting room I can get and don't want bruised knees.

What do the great wise ones think???

Thanks

Last edited by jake&thefatman; 09-24-05 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-27-05, 08:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
jake&thefatman,

When using the 1 1/4" thick tops, up to 12 inches is acceptable. Over this and it is a "time to support" issue.

No unsupported overhangs should ever be placed in such a way that they would be susceptible to tipping if excessive weight were applied to them such as sitting or standing on the edge of a countertop. Care must be taken to insure that the mounting surface is firmly secured to support the weight of the overhang.

If you feel that you need support, then I would recommend adding it.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-28-05, 07:31 AM
jake&thefatman
Visiting Guest
Since this is angled, I'm not worried about tipping. The thing I worry about is breaking a corner off if someone leans on it.

Old 09-28-05, 07:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
jake&thefatman,

If you have a concern of it breaking, then of course, install a support. It's no good to worry about something if you feel it is not safe.

I can only advise you on what they (manufacturer) considers safe for overhangs.

Anytime you have an overhang such as this, unsupported, it is an issue of, to what extent do you want this to bear weight?

In past projects, 12 inch overhangs using engineered quartz have had no problems. Anything over this should be supported. This could be with flat iron placed directly underneath or angle brackets (corbels - if you have the means to do so like leg room) or support legs done in pleasing wood decor.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: