Cracked grout around kitchen sink countertop

Old 09-27-05, 07:41 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Cracked grout around kitchen sink countertop

We had our formica counter tops and back slpash replaced with ceramic tile in our kitchen. Well after about 6-8 months we noticed that the grout lines around the kitchen sink tiles were cracking and that the tiles were getting loose. This has only appeared around the kitchen sink(The area where you stand to wash dishes) My husband insists that it is coming from someone leaning against the sink when washing dishes. I say that is NOT the case and that it has to do with dish water getting in the area. Well, we need advice on how to fix the cracks as they look like deep fissures. My husband re-grouted the cracked area but it did not fix it. The grout just slipped into the cracks and it looks like he never did anything to the cracks.( The cracks sucked up the grout )Please help . My kitchen countertops look horrible around the sink area. It appears that all the grout areas where water has come into contact have faint crack lines ,too.

Hewnew

Old 09-27-05, 07:51 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Welcome back.... Zster here....

First... if you're aware... What is under the tile? I ask because it's very possible that moisture (from the sink lip area) may be working it's way into the underlayment the tile sits on. If it's not a proper material, the surface, and the tile, may be flexing in that area, causing the grout cracking and tile coming loose...... That's what it sounds like (the area looks "awful"). Even if it is the "proper material" (CBU/Wonderboard/etc), if it's not supported properly across the span of the sink cabinets.... it can flex, causing similar cracking/popping issues....

Figure out what your substrate is... and write back....

Old 09-28-05, 07:16 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Cracked grout around kitchen sink countertop tile/see original thread

Hello again,

Thanks "Zster" for such a quick reply. We checked to see what substrate was under the tile and the only thing that we see is the wood that was cut out to place the sink in. I guess it looks like a sheet of wood, I guess plywood ,that has a whole cut out to place the sink in. We do not see anything else. Maybe that is why the area has "cracked " grout and "popped " tiles. What do we need to do to allow "proper" support for the tiles?? We want to do it ourselves. Is this possible??? Or do we need to call the people who originally did the work?? Or do we to need to contact someone else??

Thanks again,

The Hewetts

Old 09-28-05, 09:27 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Ho-boy... let's see....

It sounds like (not sure, get it?)... the tile is laid directly on top of plywood which was laid directly on top of your cabinets. At least I'm hoping it's plywood.

Lemme start over -- To be done properly, a layer of 3/4 inch plywood (not particle board) should have been attached to the top of your cabinets, forming a countertop flat surface. When I attach that plywood, I like to put front to back braces on both sides and on the rear of the sink cutout hole to help support the plywood and keep it from flexing. Over that should be a cement based product such as Durock/Wonderboard. This is a stiff, extremely water resistent product that your tile goes on top of (with thinset as the adhesive). When done properly, the surface is stiff - does not flex - and very water resistant.

Tile set in thinset and grout are not flexible. Flexing of the plywood/Wonderboard will cause the grout to crack and the tile to pop off.

If the cement based board was not used - water seepage into the wood under the tile can also cause the tile to pop and grout to crack.

You've got to figure out which is the case. If you lean on the edges of the sink, does it flex? If so... you need to support the countertop better.
Can you see any degredation of the wood surface from underneath or around the sink? If so, water seepage may be the culprit.

Can you do it yourself? Depends on your DIY skills. You could attach a 1 X 4 on edge under the cabinet for support on each side of the sink. Or... you can take off all the tile, support the countertop, add CBU - and retile...

Probably not what you wanted to hear... but that's the way I see it from here - and I'm a long way away

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: