crown molding in bathroom?

Old 10-04-05, 01:58 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
crown molding in bathroom?

I was wanting to put crown molding up in my bathroom but my dad doesnt think its a good idea! He questions the moisture that would get in behind the moldings and cause mold,so i told him I would write here and ask your opinion.Thanks

Old 10-04-05, 03:40 PM
red272,

No problem. It will be painted - no different than the walls.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-12-05, 12:45 PM
C
I've thought about this myself -

There aren't any issues with moisture getting behind the molding and not drying out?

I'd be worried about mold growth and not seeing it until it was a huge colony.

Old 10-12-05, 02:37 PM
Cerestes,

When things are painted, usually you have no reason to be concerned. We are talking about surfaces. If you are worried about other places you can't see, you can't do much about that.

Mold and mildew will form when we have ;

1. Food source - such as leaves, paper, wood or dirt, caulk

2. Moisture - from sweaty concrete floors, concrete.block walls, bathroooms, leaking pipes onto a food source

3. Place to grow - untreated wood, drywall, carpeting, caulk, etc.

In simple terms, if you eliminate one of these, you have no problem at all. This is why air ventilation is important to help dry things out. In a bathroom, a good exhaust fan is very important, even if there is a window in the bathroom. Air circulation helps control moisture levels through evaporation

Hope this helps!

Old 10-12-05, 02:38 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you have moisture concerns from high humidity, seal along crown mold with paintable silicone caulk before painting. Make sure your vent/fan unit is properly sized to allow for the proper CFM air exchanges for your size bathroom.

Old 10-14-05, 06:38 AM
C
I put painted crown in my bathroom and have no problems. I would paint both sides of the wood to limit it from picking up moisture. I would caulk it all as previously mentioned and then paint the caulk. I probably wouldn't feel comfortable putting up MDF molding myself, but it would probably work if treated as above and you don't have alot water condensing on the walls after a shower.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: