concrete backer board

Old 10-08-05, 04:49 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
concrete backer board

Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the right place for my question, but here it is. How far up do you install concrete backer board around a tub? it seems like the common size is 3'x5', the wall behind the tub is 5', so could I use 1 board sideways and have going up the wall 3'? or does it need to be higher?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-08-05, 05:09 PM
ocntazz,

http://www.usg.com/USG_Marketing_Con...tion_Guide.pdf

Studs should be spaced a maximum of 16" o.c. (Edges/ends of backerboard parallel to framing should be continuously supported. Provide additional blocking when necessary to permit proper backerboard attachment.) Do not install backerboard directly over protrusions from stud plane such as heavy brackets or fastener heads.

Moisture Barrier: While cement boards are unaffected by moisture, a moisture barrier must be installed to protect the wall cavity for wet area installations. Nail or staple 15 lb. roofing felt or 4 mil. to 6 mil. Polyethylene sheeting to the studs.

Installation: Precut the cement panels and make necessary cutouts. Install backerboard leaving a 1/8" - 3/16" space at all joints and corners. Stagger board joints with those of adjacent rows. Fasten backerboard every 8" o.c. along studs. At all joints and corners prefill gap with polymer-modified mortar, then embed 2" alkali-resistant fiberglass mesh tape and smooth material over joint and corner.

Any shelf, ledge or horizontal surface subjected to water exposure needs to have a slight downward slope for water run-off. These areas also require proper waterproofing. Apply RedGard or Trowel & Seal Waterproofing and Anti-Fracture Membrane.

When installing the backerboard, leave an 1/8" space along the area where the wall meets the top of a tub (nailing flange) or shower base (nailing flange). This area will be caulked later with silicon caulk. Caulk is flexible enough to allow movementósettling or expansion and contractionówithout cracking. You do not want the backerboard going over the tub lip - this causes a "bow out" at the tub lip.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-09-05, 06:50 AM
O
Doug,
Thanks for all the info. This is a small bathroom (5'x6') would you use concrete board on all the walls or just bath/shower area? I plan to install a vent fan.
Thanks again,
Chris

Old 10-09-05, 07:10 AM
Chris,

Use the backerboard only within the tub/shower area. The remainder of the walls can be done with Greenboard, if desired.

I would suggest however using standard drywall for the remainder and ceiling.

Glad you are installing a good exhaust fan.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: